Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Requirements to Be a teacher
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-28-2007 02:36
I have had the desire to be a welding instructor for many years now. The opportunity has come close once but I was not selected. I feel I could convey information to a person interested in welding quite well. I perform training at work and it seems the people are learning. I have no secondary education but feel I have all of the knowldege necessary to pass on enough to a student who is ready to go to work.

I was wondering if most education systems all require a degree for instructors ?
Are there any websites that summarize the teacher qualification requirements for each state?

Thanks

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-28-2007 03:34
Gerald I recieve in the mail every year (and I assume every other welding company in the local yellow pages does as well) a letter from the local Community College asking interested business owners if they, or any of their employees are interested in teaching classes.
My schedule would'nt allow it right now but at some point in the future I'd enjoy doing it.
Maybe something similar is available in your area.
The boilermakers have instructors as I'm sure you know. But I'm guessing you dropped out of the apprenticeship?
Good luck,
JTMcC
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-28-2007 12:24
Hey John,

I did drop out of the apprenticeship. Only a few more jobs from being vested also. The local community college seems to be locked in right now. The local High School Vocational Center had an opening last year. I interviewed and from what the person I interviewed with said, it was looking good. Another person was deserving of the position got the job.

I am keeping my eys open and I have a "Job Search" with the Dept of labors website that sends me an email with any jobs with "welding Instructor" or "Welding Teacher" in them. I noticed an opening with Job Corps but at the time of the opening I couldn't have made it to any interviews.

Have a good day John

Gerald
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-28-2007 04:56 Edited 05-28-2007 21:17
Hey Gerald!
I've got to mention this to you because I asked myself the same question years ago...

Most schools are looking for someone and here's the key word: "PREFERED" with a Bachelor's degree and something like two yearsof actual welding/fabricating experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience (I think you already have that "Equivalent" combination of education & experience friend!)... They also expect one to be familiar in many area's & processes including such topics as:
Welding Physics, Basic Welding Metallurgy, Welding & NDT symbols , blueprint reading and welding design & fabrication, Structural/Pipe Welding & layout/fitting, Cost/Estimation, OFC, OAW, SMAW, GMAW, FCAW,GTAW, SAW, CAC, Familiar with automated or robotic applications in some cases, etc.

One of the talents that you already got going for you is that you already have teaching experience which IMHO, is better than coming fresh out of school with a fancy piece of paper, still wet behind the ears with less than a decade of actual experience under one's belt and then be led to think that they're more qualified to teach than someone that's already went through the trial by fire through years of blod sweat & tears and really loves what they're doing because it shows in the success of their students when they bump into them later on in life and mention that they're now supervising or making sooo much money that it's feels almost criminal (We know it is'nt but, one of my students thought so and mentioned it to me!!!).

If you've already developed curriculum, then you're way ahead of most newly hired inexperienced instructors... If you know how to manage both the classroom and lab with military precision then, you're way ahead of some of the newcomers who really should spend more time out in the field honing their time management skills before they attempt to experiment with a class... If you already have confident presentation skills then keep improving on them because communication skills education never stops when one is the educator!!! If you're already the most unforgiving SOB in the lab or in the classroom for that matter, then you'll earn the class respect in short order because remember, they do'nt have to love you - they've just got to respect you so, make sure you're firm but fair - remember the USN and the way they taught you??? Need I say anymore??? An AWS CWE does'nt hurt either... If you already know how to dance with administratium's BS then, you'll go far Son!!!
If you have kids, then teach your students like you would want your children to be taught ;)

I can go on and on but, I know that there are other instructor's here that also have words of wisdom for you to embrace so I'll leave you with this: I personally think that you would be a fine instructor Gerald - PERIOD!!! ;) Remember where you come from and remember where you've been because as long as you have that in focus, the rest is gravy baby!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-28-2007 12:33
I think you have some good points there. My feelings are that my desire to get people involved with welding because I love the trade can overcome any degree needed for teaching welders and inspectors.

Thanks for the positive words.

Gerald
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-28-2007 15:56
My local CC doesn't require a degree for this type of instruction, and in my state you can get a teaching cert for high school without a degree in certain circumstances. So there are opportunities there.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Teaching_Opps Date 06-18-2007 19:50
Hi Gerald,

Our college is seeking Welding instructors to work on an adjunct basis. Generally, we do require advanced degrees.  However, for some of our advanced trades (such as welding) we have some flexibility. Please reply to this message if you would be interested. **We're in the Houston area.

Thanks,

Carol
Parent - By dougjohnson Date 01-06-2008 12:51
i am in louisiana...want to do welding
Parent - - By Jason Hartwig Date 11-29-2007 20:49
Gerald, I am a weld instructor at a large company.  we have had hard times finding welders that could meat our expatations so we started a welding school in pampa TX.  Starting a school and getting it going is a hard task but it has paid off.  You might find a company that is in need of welders and create a school just for there needs.  This is a chalinging job but it is fun and rewording.  I ran 5 students 5 hr. a day and 5 days a week.  the company is doing much better and has doubled in size.  the most inportant part is the practel part of welding, but you have to conseder all the outher parts of welding.  (Saftey, printreading, parts of metal ergy and so forth)
I have a two year degery from TSTC, in Waco and that has helped me out trumendusly.

Good luck
Jason
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-01-2007 01:43 Edited 01-08-2008 03:33
Yeah that is nice that you have a degree but, where did you learn how to spell???
No offense but, your writing doesn't even come up close to college level.
Have you no honor in your grammar? :(

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-06-2008 16:42 Edited 01-06-2008 16:44
It's spelled doesn't!!! Let's not cast stones, Henry!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-08-2008 02:48 Edited 01-08-2008 03:31
Thanks for sharing that irrelevant tidbit fbrieden :) :) :) However, you're correct in the spelling of the word "doesn't" So one typo is equivalent to all the spelling errors in the previous post??? Hmmm...
Talk about casting stones!!! :) :) :)

Henry
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-08-2008 18:48
To be honest, I'd rather cast bullets!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-10-2008 03:29
Temper, temper!!!:) :) :)

Henry
Parent - - By Aspirate (**) Date 01-08-2008 03:39
lol!  I've seen a lot of weird misspellings here compared to most forums.   Man, its everywhere in here.. just look.
It makes me wonder... 
not being able to see their own words, is this how they treat their finished weld?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-08-2008 18:21
Actually, many misspellings are due to something called the "Fat-Finger Virus".  I believe it was a wise old sage (John Wright) that coined that; at least he was the first one I have seen using the phrase.

Other misspellings are from in-process editing - you know, that's when you rewrite your sentence but you might not backspace far enough.
I've been guilty of both categories........ and will be again. 

And of course, sometimes we misspell from force of habit.  (I had to look up "misspell" because I thought there is supposed to be one "S" for some reason.)

However, I don't think how a person spells, or the fact that they might not review their screen before the click on "Post", has much to do with how they weld.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-08-2008 18:42
i have no honor in grammar. i don't need to. if someone is bothered by my spelling, oh well. it has not hindered mycareer in any way. i will always misspell words.
Parent - - By lewis edwards (*) Date 12-22-2007 16:55
I've been teaching adults for about four years now and find the cost to be biggest obstical . If you go to your local community collage you can set up your own class . As an instructer you have to come up all of your own materials anyway . If they run the class they pay for it though .  What you can also do is find out where they hold their welding classes and see If you can rent  that facility. Some big companys have paid training as part of their retiernment benifits so you might be able to tap into that sourse of money . I here that the instructer for that class ends up with around $50.00 an hour . It's a body shop and he gets repeat buisness . The idea is to come up with something that fits into peoples hobbies or give them the equipment to do what they want .  Non credit adult is the key to teaching without papers here .    
Parent - - By Billyjoe (***) Date 06-12-2008 02:13
you can get a master degree on line ,there are college on line that offer degree you can get online ,just go to yhaoo
an type in college degrees you can get a 4 year degree in less then a year online, in your spare time
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 06-12-2008 22:11
A 4 year degree in less than year in my spare time??? I'll take it.
Parent - - By Billyjoe (***) Date 09-21-2008 04:34
start out with a tech school like Lincoln tech ,or A T I , They will give you a job , this way you will have a back ground in teaching , They are in it for the money , you teach the people how to flat weld ,(stick ) and mig weld ,I work at ATI in dallas ,it was good pay for me ,but they just wanted to push the kid through the class , and get there grant money ,I work 1 year ,but I was held back on what I could teach them , but you get a back ground in it,
Parent - By Billyjoe (***) Date 09-21-2008 04:51
I made good money working for ATI but after a year ,I had to leave ,because the kids where not get there money worth ,I been in welding for 37 years , an I hated to go to work ,so I quit and put my hood back on ,
- By dickb Date 06-23-2010 16:16
been welding for bout 40 yrs - race cars - indy -sprint cars - went to this factory and they said you need to be certified - so i went to the local 2 yr college - didn;t make it as a student - make an adjunct out of me - they had this program that lasted 6 weeks - off 1 week - back on for 6 weeks,etc - what a joke - tried to put together something worthwhile - codes, print reading, WPS, safety, tig and mig - after a year i got fired - causing to much trouble - in central indiana - never again - went to the skills USA contest - 26 students - not one could weld aluminum - i now rebuild water pumps - will never weld again - rich
- By BERNIESWELDING Date 10-21-2011 16:56
i was working for the federal government as a welder after finishing my apprenticeship program and i had a associates degree from Long Beach City College, along with all my documentation of completion of my training. i applied to Los Angles Unified School Distric and what i presented was qualification enough to get hired. i was given a provisional teaching credential and i had five years to complete certain extension classes through UCLA to meet the requirements for a full credential. the key to getting a teaching position is being confident and present everything in a professional way. i was hired to teach an evening class and the students i had were in the trade to start with and wanted to get certified. ther was a lot of motivation in them.

if a position is offered and it is an afternoon/evening program go for it. the money and benifits are awsome.
- - By lwtfnd Date 01-10-2013 15:55
I am an instructor and am having issues with one student who has had an eye exam and has good eyes but has trouble seeing the around the puddle in joints and surfaceing welds previous bead ext.
we have tried...
1. lighter filter lens
2. different stance
3. auto darkining
4. cheater lenses
5. additional light over weldment
6. chalk lines
7. different travel angle....
I am all out of ideas for this guy. can this guy "just not weld" he is smart and "gets it" but cant pick up anything around the puddle. any help?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-10-2013 18:06
Find out what distance he can see the best at. I have a student legally blind in one eye. He has progressed slower but has really improved when we moved everything.

Gerald Austin
Weldingclassroom.org
- - By Dualie (***) Date 01-10-2013 16:27
have you tried different color lenses?  not just the slandered auto darkening green?  Lincoln used to make a rose colored lense that some guys swore by
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-10-2013 18:13
Speaking of choosing a different color...I have found my new favorite. It's a gold colored lens, I think is made by Linde. It was in some old stock in the store room here at work. I had broken mine and was looking for a quick replacement and fell in love with the clarity of what I was seeing.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Requirements to Be a teacher