Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Is CAWI is effective for getting job?
- - By er_adil Date 05-28-2007 08:29
Is CAWI is effective for getting job?
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-28-2007 13:17
What type of a job are you talking about? Welding Inspector, Welder, Walmart Greeter, welding instructor, McDonalds cook, brain surgeon?!?!?!

Several laboratories will hire you as a CAWI to do weld inspection.  They are unethical. 

The real question is whether you, the CAWI will perform inspections "within visible and audible range" of a CWI or Senior CWI at all times, or if you will take an assignment by your employer to work alone.  If you decide that you will work alone, then you are unethical.

I haven't heard of any companies who will take a CAWI and properly oversee his work in the (according to QC-1) specified manner. 

If you passed all three parts of the exam at the CWI level, but do not have the requisite years of experience, I hope you find a good company to employ you and give you the work experience and time you need to get full qualification.  I would suggest NDT schooling, welding, welding instruction, steel fabrication to a code until you get enough time.  Most importantly, Remain Ethical!!!!

If you flunked the exam and got the booby prize (CAWI), I suggest you turn it in.  (Surrender it back to AWS with a letter stating your intention to become uncertified.) The only person in the world who cannot inspect a weld all alone, is a CAWI. Hit the books and try again.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Is CAWI is effective for getting job?