Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Search for Certification Records
- - By 4MTM Date 05-30-2007 11:45
Another new member here, helping a friend who does not have the internet. We are in Southwest Ohio. He is a 23-year welder with multiple certifications held at one time or another. How would one go about finding the different certifications held at any time? He was led to believe that these certifications were on record somewhere. He has also explained to me that, once inactive for six-months, they expire, but was still wanting to have a list of them for work history. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have contacted "jwest@weldingcertification.com" and was directed to the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT), but not sure why, as I can see no link or search box to even begin to look. Thanks in advance for any hint at a direction to follow. ~loree~
Parent - By chall (***) Date 05-30-2007 11:56
He should contact the HR or QA/QC Department of the company(ies) he has worked for and ask them for a breakdown of the certs he used to hold.

We have a standard letter that identifies the process, filler metal, positions qualified, etc.; and also lists the dates of employment.  When requested, we fill it out and certify it for any welder who asks.  Many employees will hire welder's on the strength of that letter alone (not something I endorse).  As a minimum it will provide good proof that the welder has some bona fides.

Charles
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-30-2007 12:05 Edited 05-30-2007 12:10
Hello 4MTM;

I don't know of any "central office" that keeps records of welder qualifications.

If the welder tested and passed a test for bridgework with a specific state, they may have a record of that certification if it is issued by the state department of transportation. However, if the welder works in a fabrication shop and was tested by his/her employer, I doubt the DOT would have a record of that test unless the DOT issued the actual certification.

If the welder belongs to a union such as the Ironworkers, Sheetmetal Workers, Boilermakers, etc. and took a test through a centralized welder qualification/certification propgram, then there is most likely a paper trail that can be checked. If the welder certification was issued by an employer (not through the union), then I don't believe the union would have a copy of the certification papers.

Similar to bridge welders, some states have a "welder's license" that is issued to welders involved in pipe welding that is regulated by the individual state. Be aware that not all states have a licensing requirement. If there is a state issued license, the department tasked with collecting the fees and issuing the license would have the information on file.

The welder also has an option to be tested and certified through the AWS by taking the qualification test at an Accredited Test Facility (ATF). The cost is most likely higher than simply taking the test through an independent testing lab, but the welder's certification is issued by the AWS and is kept on file provided the welder pays a fee for the service.

My suggestion is that the welder keep copies of all of his/her qualification/certification papers in a safe place at home. You never know when they will come in handy due to layoffs or other opportunities. Some employers will not issue copies of the welder's certification papers to hinder the welder's ability to look elsewhere for employment. Likewise, the past employer may not be inclined to provide copies of welder certifications once the welder has left the company. Some will, but they do not have to provide copies of the welder's qualifications.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 05-30-2007 14:22
I agree with Charles and Al totally, but please allow me to add another twist regarding certifications trying to be obtained when the welder did not keep his/her own duplicated record.

Many years ago, I was testing welders for a job, but waived the test for any welder that had current certifications in that particular process (the older I get, the shorter my memory gets), so I don't recall all the details of which process was involved. But, I found out that some of the certified welders had transposed their certifications with their friends name and used these falsified certifications with other people's names. It is very easy to do with just a copy machine. This looked so authentic that I would have never known it except for this one welder presented his (illegally obtained) certification papers and ended up not knowing an electrode from a Volkswagen. The point is, some fabricators will not accept even current up to date certs for reasons like this. I also even worked for a company, again many years ago, that kept a record of the welder's certs, but would not give a copy to the welder. Is that fair? Companies can pretty much do what they want.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 05-30-2007 15:40
To add just a bit more to what Chuck said: 

We do not release the record of a welders test (ie - the QW484).  We put all the pertinent information on company letterhead and send an original letter.

We do this routinely and I have never had a complaint from either the welder or anyone calling to verify the status of a previous employee.

Charles
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-30-2007 17:44
Thats a tough one.....anytime you can get a copy of your certs or have a card issued you should keep up with it even if its expired.  Sometimes that will get your foot in the door and get you tested for employment....they have to spend money to test you so anything that makes an employer more confident in giving you a chance helps.

Your friends best bet as said before would be to contact previous employers and ask for some validation on company letterhead.  A lot of companies require surrender of certs before you leave...mine does.  I usually make a personal copy when I can of certs and keep a record of them just to help inform employers I have passed the qualification in the past...I always make sure I inform them wherther a cert is active or not or if its just a in house cert.  It may be somewhat unethical to keep a copy of a "surrender upon termination card"  ....but I only do it to get my foot in the door...not to try to work from it.  When you are going to have to do 18-36 coupons to certify the companies tend to be picky about who they give a shot to.  The company I work for now hired me just based upon interview, expired aws cards and experience.  I was never asked to submit any weld samples before hire which was mind blowing to me considering the depth of the certs (AWS D17.1) in many alloys.  I am sure that those old cards helped put me above others trying for the job.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Search for Certification Records