Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe to plate weld
- - By jimmykx250 Date 05-30-2007 13:02
I have a 1 1/4" schedule 40 pipe post for a stair rail. The pipe is attaching to a 1/4" stringer plate in which
the post laps atleast 6". My weld is supposed to be 3/16" 3" on both sides. How can this weld be measured for size? Also, does it matter if its 2~ 1 1/2" welds on each side top and bottom or does it have to be a continous 3" weld? Also just out of curiosity doesnt that sound like alot of weld for a rail that only needs to check for a 200 lb. concentrated load capacity?    
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-31-2007 00:32
Seems like way overkill to me.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 06-01-2007 05:02
In my experience with stairs the weld details are usually drawn by a draftsman that may have little or no knowledge of welding. An engineer may or may not approve the prints. This is not the it should be but that has been my experience. It depends on the fabrication company. Some do a poor job in this area. Some do okay. The joint configuration you described would be a flare bevel and hopefully not a fillet weld. The 3" long welds may be up the inspectors judgement. Post would have less wobble if welded on top and bottom. Inspector may not like it though. If you put 3" centered in the 6" lap the inspector would not reject unless detail contradicted the welds on post. I always erred on the side of too much when it came to stair safety. I have put many rails and stairs in army barracks, middle, high schools and colleges and can invision ten kids horseplaying pushing and pulling on the rails then I add more weld. As far as the size goes a fillet gage or a scale can check the size on the post side using an imaginary line.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 06-01-2007 05:11
Also we have many times had to weld the full length of the post and that was an overkill. But inspection of stair may not happen until a month or two after installation and I didn't want to drive two hundred miles one way for a couple of inches of weld. I miss installing stairs.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe to plate weld