Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Information on travel speed
- - By Nandy Date 05-31-2007 00:52
I am very new to welding. I will be welding a 2" 1/8 thick square pipes to make a rack. I did some testing in the material and looks like the 7018 3/32 electrode at 125a ac had enough penetration to hold the pieces together. I went about putting the welded parts in a vise and use the "hammer" method to test the strengh and I have to say I was happy. I know that is not a very scientific way to test. Anyway, I am not sure if there is a chart anywhere of a formula to estimate the travel speed of a weld. I know there must be a lot of variables but I wonder if there is one to at least get me in the ballpark to then play with it. What I have read is that the bead should be in 1/8" in this case.
Another thing is read about the weld bead, which I have no problem seeing while oxyacetilene welding, but I have a problem seeing that bead. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Thanks.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-31-2007 02:55
I wouldn't worry about a specific travel speed, it will depend too much on fitup and joint preperation. To Me Your amperage sounds high, but if it is working, don't get too excited about the machine settings, as there are a lot of variables there too. The welding lenses come in different shades, #10 being a good place to start. If it is too dark try a #9, or use a worklight shining on the joint. If the lens gets fogged up You won't see any detail.
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 05-31-2007 04:51
if you are using 7018 and a shade 9 or 10 look a bit behind your arc where your puddle is and if its pointy your going too fast, slow down a bit until it becomes more of a cresent shape. try about 90 amps with 3/32. burn to learn!
Parent - - By Nandy Date 05-31-2007 17:16
All, thanks for the replies. Downhand, you mean that if Im welding from left to right, with the rod tilt to the right a few degrees, I should see the puddle to the left of the electrode? That might be my problem, Im bending all over trying to see the puddle almost right under the electrode towards the right side... Please let me know. I have been looking for videos but almost everything I see is so dark I cannnot tell anything.

Thanks...
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 06-01-2007 03:47
first of all, if you want a way to estimate what heat you want for a given rod,other than looking on the side of the box, dividing the size of it will be a good place to start. ex. 3/32 = .09375 or 93 amps, 1/8= .125 or 125 amps, 5/32=. 156 or 156 amps (this works primarily with xx18 rods, you cant really use it for 10 rod cause you would be pretty hot. unless you are hot passing but nevermind that yet.) if you are right handed you will probably weld left to right in the flat position, light up a rod and drag it along slowy until you see something going on behind your rod. that should be your puddle. if you are using 3/32 7018 it should be about 1/4" x 1/4". look for the cresent shape like I told you about. do that 50 times on a chunk of steel and chip off every pass and check to see what you can do different the next time to not make it look too ugly. compare what is on your piece of scrap to the welds that look good to you on your videos and keep welding till they look that good. burn to learn. hope I helped some, let me know hw you make out. later
Parent - By Molten Metal (**) Date 06-01-2007 03:56
Nandy....watch the puddle as it is solidifying -behind- the molten pool.You watch it there for almost all welding.Ofcourse you need to see where your going too,but,as a rule of thumb.Watch behind your direction of travel.
Parent - By Nandy Date 06-01-2007 23:14
Ok, I will try that and see how it goes. I tried burning some sticks today before I read this and it kinda made sense from what I read yesterday. You guys are a lot of help. I will try more later.
Thanks!
Parent - By Nandy Date 06-03-2007 00:30
Wow!!!! How much little information can take one! The improvement in the welding was amazing. TO the point I felt a bit more competent and help a friend weld 4 small steel pieces to a old trailer of him. I was surprised at how good looking those welds were, well, most of the weld. LOL! Thanks a lot. Any more hints will be appreciated.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Information on travel speed