Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / heat input.......
- - By JA (**) Date 05-31-2007 07:34
is there some sort of chart or scale that has recommended heat input for various steels , and plate thickness......?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-31-2007 17:47
If something as such exists my guess is it would be very general. Heat input is not so much an issue for the material as it is an issue for the material to achieve certain properties (or weld metal and HAZ crack resistance in higher alloys).
For example, often SA-333 Grade 6 is specified because users know that it comes with automatic charpy impact testing at -50deg F. But it doesn't necesarily mean that it will be used for a low temp application. And certainly not that low most of the time. Often folks go Ni steels for temps that low (like SA-333 Grade 9). So if you were to qual for that temp you would need to watch your heat inputs closer than at a higher temp application.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-31-2007 18:03
Hello JA, I'm not sure if this will help you with your question but you might consider visiting this website for some information, one of the other posters on the forum here suggested this to me and it has a lot of good information. www.key-to-steel.com  Regards, Allan
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 06-01-2007 07:13
Thank you Allan......
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-01-2007 09:44
Cool post Aevald!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / heat input.......