Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / recommended filler metal......
- - By JA (**) Date 05-31-2007 07:56
the joint is a 1" thick single V............base metal is high speed steel,,,,18% chromium , 3% tungsten , 1% vanadium ,,,,,,psi is about 350,000........
its a broken die from the machine shop,,,,,,,,,,recommended pre-heat and filler metal.........????????
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-31-2007 13:26
You may wish to provide carbon content and a hardness number as well before anybody takes a shot at advice. I'm guessing (which also needs tobe confirmed)you have a high hardness material probably taking advantage of Cr, V, and W carbides for hardness.
I believe there's a couple of guys in here with extensive tool steel experience that can help if you provide a little more info.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-01-2007 04:09
What sort of die is this? What sort of repair are You trying to make? Will the weld be subject to high loads other than compression? The material specs aren't anything I am famillair with. When We repaired broken dies at the auto frame plant the process was to preheat the part to 400 f, weld with 9018 leaving space for about 3 passes of tool steel rod on working surfaces. Short tool steel beads were peened imediatly after layed down thick enough to allow for stock removal to restore proper contours. Post weld heat treating was 400 f. Our tools were not made from high speed steel, they were air hardening AISI A2 and D2 the latter being high carbon/high chrome. The important thing is that the post weld heat was the original draw temperature from the initial heat treating of the tool, as an area in the HAZ will be untempered after welding. Repairs made like this are not nearly as strong as the original part, but if the breakage was from a catastrophic screwup normal service loads may be low enough for this type of repair to hold together, and the tool steel buildup on the working surfaces altho probably not as good as the original material may work well enough tho "get You through" untill a replacement can be made.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 06-01-2007 07:11
I'm not sure what this thing does , its a friends and he says that it is subject to impact,,,,,,,they bring me this stuff to fix because i'm a welder.........I'm a structural guy ,,,,,,,,and not familiar with tool and die repair......

when you say 400 degrees,,,is that a "max" temp....?

now this 9018 , is this a regular 9018 , or an alloyed 9018....?  and if its so hard ,why not 10018 or 11018.....?      butter with stainless..........?

"tool steel" rod.....???????????

ya , just until the replacement is finished.............thank you..
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-02-2007 03:58 Edited 06-02-2007 04:11
The 9018 is plain old 9018 stick welding rod. I didn't develope the procedure, so I don't know what else they might have tried over the years, but this is what worked. There are "Tool & Die" rods that give a tool steel deposit made just for this type of work, they are what You put on the working surfaces to give heat and wear resistance. If You tried to use the tool steel rod for the entire repair it would be too likely to crack completely apart, the 9018 allows some "give". The steels I mentioned should not be heated above 400 f because that would make them softer than they are supposed to be [draw the temper too far]. The material You are working with could probably be heated to 900-1000 f without a problem, and being high speed steel of some kind that would probably be a better temp for pre and post weld heating, but We really should know the particular tool steel alloy to get the best information. My best guess would be to hold at 1000 f for 1 hour after welding. How You are going to do that without a furnace I have no idea. For an amaturish job You might tack it together with the 9018, heat it to black with the torch, do Your welding, grind off the scale and tops of the beads so You can see the oxide colors, heat it to black again and then wrap it up in fiberglass insulation to cool slowly. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES COOL THIS PART WITH WATER.
After the weld repair the mounting surfaces will need to be ground flat on a surface grinder, and the working surfaces need to be ground to the proper contour and size. Dowl pin holes on each side of the repair will not be in the same relationship, etc. If they don't have an in house toolroom they may not be able to use the part even if You do weld it together, find out first.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 06-02-2007 13:03
ok Dave , then thats the plan,,,,,,,,,,,,and thank you .........
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-03-2007 04:08
I wish You the best of luck. Some parts are repairable, but some parts arn't. If You don't have sucess it isn't necesarily that You did something wrong. Be sure they understand this from the beginning. Tool and die welding is a specialty of it's own, those who are good at it are really good. Mind You, I know how they welded broken tool steel at the plant, buy I wasn't the one who DID it.
Parent - By JA (**) Date 06-04-2007 07:18
i understand Dave , and once agan , thank you.........
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / recommended filler metal......