Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6010 downhill?
- - By mdu (*) Date 06-02-2007 06:16
I learned how to weld 6010 downhill in school a few years ago, but haven't used it since.  I am going to start practicing, but i forgot a couple things.  Do you feather your tacks, starts, and stops on the root pass, and if you are going to 6010 the whole pipe, do you have to clean in between passes?  Stepping and weaving always bothered me in school.  It looked good, but it seemed like it would trap slag that way.  What is a common way to bust out on a 6010 test, so that I know what not to do(like running to cold)?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-02-2007 22:02
Put your tacks in like you're going to leave them. Yes, clean very good in between passes. You may even grind your root to get rid of the wagon tracks for your hot pass. Grind your tacks, stops and restarts good. Never ever let your puddle cool down too much. Remember, run everything hot except the cap.

PRACTICE..........
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 06-02-2007 22:06
I keep running into these young welders that don't grind their tacks. They don't get good tie ins, either. I guess they think it's uncool to have to grind a tack.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-04-2007 01:34
I run into the same issue of not grinding tacks. I also get to see these guys 30 days later for a re-test. When I broke out in the early 80's grinding the bead was still frowned on. You melted the WT with the hot pass. But you always hit the stops and starts. Bear down on the start, feather the stop.
Parent - By mdu (*) Date 06-03-2007 07:10
Thanks for the advice.  Luckily I worked most of the time in a shop, so a grinder is my best friend.  I just didn't want to get looked at side ways for grinding tacks down if not needed.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6010 downhill?