Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / reference for element effects on carbon steel
- - By hogan (****) Date 06-04-2007 17:37
I'm looking for a reference on the pro's and con's of different elements in carbon steel. there effects alone and in combination. i seem to be having trouble locating anything up to date. thanks for any help.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-04-2007 17:52
You can probably google a lot of good information on elements for CS. Or try documents generated by the WRC (Welding Research Council-a bit pricy) or the IIW (International Institute of Welding-free if you're a member). There is an excellent book by Evans and Bailey, though it is oriented to SMAW. Or Linnerts, Lancasters, Evans, or Granjon's volumes on Welding Metallurgy. There are excellent volumes available from TWI (The Welding Insititute-again a bit pricey) or Abbington Publishing (pricey as well)
The AWS handbook Volume 3 and 4. ASM's Volume 6 on Welding is huge and very comprehensive.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-04-2007 19:29
Hello JS;

I've read most of the books you've listed and have to put my vote in for George Linnerts books.

I really wish George had finished his second edition before passing on.

Did your wife get out the tomato sauce stains?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-04-2007 19:36
Al,
LMAO!!!
Yes. She did. Man I shoulda known. Wearin white, doin Italian. Its inevitable.

I agree, George Linnerts book is still one of the best. And I have the tattered binding to prove it.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-04-2007 19:40
PS: George's book for me was the first major realization that what I knew was not only NOT the tip of the tip of the iceburg, but that what I knew was lucky if it was a partially melted ice cube in a Martini glass.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / reference for element effects on carbon steel