Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / piping as per ASME B31.1
- - By hung7601 (*) Date 06-06-2007 05:46
Hi all

I believe all of us aware that for materials (alloy steels etc.) are potential of reheat cracking, the NDE to be after PWHT... let say for piping with material P no.5A need to be PWHT then NDE to be applied after PWHT...
Any one can help to show me where in B31.1, can I find the requirement that NDE must be done after PWHT for materials other than P no.1 and P n.8 ..?

Thanks a lot
ALEX
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 06-06-2007 12:23
I have looked for that requirement many times and do not believe it is in there. 

This is an issue that hits us often.  From the production side, there is an interest in making sure the NDE is satisfactory before spending the resources for PWHT; however, intellect tells us that the proper time to do the NDE is when the PWHT is completed.

One way to make your case is this way:  ASME Section IX (the welding code) states PWHT is an essential variable.  Therefore, when you do the weld on a joint that must be PWHT, you must use a procedure qualified with PWHT.  The weld is not completed until the PWHT is complete.  NDE for final acceptance clearly must be accomplished after the weld is complete.

Fortunately, most of the clients we work for specify final NDE to be completed after PWHT.  It takse the debate off the table.

One other thing to consider; if the job schedule is tight, or if you simply don't want to do re-work if the joint should fail NDE following PWHT; do an "informational" NDE prior to PWHT.  If it is acceptable, you will have a high degree of confidence it will be acceptable following PWHT as well.  A piece of advice on this:  make sure the company that does the "informational" NDE is the same as the one that does the final.  If that is not possible, make sure that you thoroughly review all NDE results to make sure indications that may be questionable, are in fact acceptable before you do the PWHT.  You don't want to get into an argument about an indication that is rejected after PWHT, that another technician accepted before the PWHT (if you can avoid it).

Charles
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 06-06-2007 13:00
I looked as well and cannot find anything addressing it in B31.1.

I know B31.3 doesn't apply in your case but it does state that for P-No.s 3, 4 & 5 materials NDE shall be performed after final PWHT. It doesn't addres sother materials. There is a reason for it.

You may want to get clarification from your Welding Engineer.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-06-2007 13:55
There is no requirement for NDE after PWHT in B31.1. Nor should anybody expect there to be one soon. Especially for 5A's (though Vanadium bainitics are more sensitive).
Reheat cracking generally exhibits a flattened top side C curve phenomena. And it is the responsibility of a welding engineer, IMO, to be aware of the C curve response of the materials he is dealing with and adjust regimes accordingly as opposed to imposing by default expensive dupicate RT(which often misses cracks anyway) or NDEing after PWHT which of course means another heat treat if you have a repair.
Reheat C curve response emphasizes lower temps. This is why reheat cracking is generally more closely associated with pressure vessels, where times are long and multi stage HT takes it to lower temps. This of course is not the case with piping.  Piping is generally PWHT'd at shorter times (except for the 80% requirement of Section III or alloys such as Grade 91 that require long ramps) with higher temps. Piping is most often PWHT'd above those temps that that are robust in causing the precipitations that are the primary cause of reheat cracking.
Parent - By hung7601 (*) Date 06-10-2007 03:47
Hi Charles and every body

Thanks a lot for your advice; That are very helpful to me to make decision
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-06-2007 21:49
In my opinion, the difference between B31.1 and B31.3 is explained by the following reason:
B31.1 regards, as we all know, power plant piping. B31.3 regards chemical plant piping.
In power plant piping corrosion is of little concern. Steam and water are very little corrosive. The main concern are high pressure and temperatures. To withstand pressure and temperatures highly sophisticated alloys (the ones prone of rehat cracking) are not necessary. The usual alloys, such as 5% chrome and 0.5% molybdenum and others, are normally sufficient.  
In chemical plants piping, on the other hand, corrosion is of very great concern, and hence the need for highly sophisticated alloys, the ones subject to reheat cracking.
That's why B31.3 requires that in some cases NDE be made after PWHT, wehreas B31.1 doesn't worry about that.
If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-07-2007 14:42
Giovanni,
If I may be picky for a moment, just a point of interest. Some of the alloys in power piping are very sophisticated. Grade 91 used frequently for main steam and hot reheat came out of Oak Ridge and DOE research for nukes in the 60's. Grade 92, Grade 122, and many others of Japanese and German proprietary designation (spawned as well from this research) are rapidly finding application. Nickel, Vanadium, Niobium, Nitrogen, and other elements in extremely precise volume percents are finding there way into base alloys such as the traditional 1 1/4 and 2 1/4 Chromes, creating alloys of precise bainitic, martensitic and ferritic percentages.
And If I may, as an addenda not immediately applicable to your post, some of these alloys have evidence of some reheat cracking. Essentially any alloy with the potential for precipitation hardening, the potential for 'intra' granular precipitation of hardening carbides (often either V or Mo) or containing certain target elements (As, Sn, Cu, etc.), will. But typical PWHT regimes for many of these put them out of the range of robust formation of variables that initiate reheat cracking.
Your probably already aware of this but I thought it applicable. Its a good discussion. Reheat cracking a very real concern. But it has also become a catch phrase, and a marketing ploy. There is no escaping the need to engineer a safe and viable, and economical solution, and for a welding engineer to FULLY understand the alloy they are working with.
Sorry for the brief soapbox.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-12-2007 20:22 Edited 06-12-2007 23:53
js,
thanks for the lesson. One learns something new every day.
You see, I live in a country where 90% of electric power comes from hydro plants.
With a couple of exceptions, the thermal plants belong to industrial mills (oil refineries, petrochemical, pulp and paper etc.) where the pressure very seldom exceeds 900 psi.
Out of the two existing nuclear plants, one was designed 30 years ago by a well known American company (which isn't General Electric) and was a fiasco. The other one was designed by Siemens and is working OK, but frankly I don't know the material the high pressure piping is made of.
And now let me ask you a question:
What do "picky" and "soapbox" mean? I'd have thought that soapbox is is a box full of soap that you buy in the supermarket.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By Cgregory (**) Date 06-12-2007 20:30
"Picky" usually means being overcareful about the small details, and being hard to please. (I've sometimes used it to describe my mother. :) )

"Soapbox" is a reference to giving a lecture, sometimes but not always on a political subject. You're right that people could buy boxes of soap -- soapboxes -- at the supermarket; people used to use them to stand on to deliver lectures to a crowd when they needed a quick and easy way to stand up higher so the crowd could see them.  So the term is now used as slang for lecturing someone.

Hope this helps!

-- Christine
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-12-2007 20:53
Christine,
Well thank you. Let the record show that I neither intended to lecture our esteemed colleague, nor do I feel I was overcareful or hard to please.
And as a matter of tangent applicability, I recently printed up a power point presentation on a new Alstom Boiler Design, for those that are interested, or curious. And the alloys being utilized are staggering.
15Mo3, T91, 304H, Alloy 174, Alloy 617, Alloy 740, CrMo44, P92, Alloy C263.
Folks, this ain't your grandpa's boiler any more.
Back to the books.
Parent - - By Cgregory (**) Date 06-12-2007 22:16
No such implication was meant on my part :)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-13-2007 13:23
Christine,
I know. I suppose I didn't state myself well. We're cool.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-13-2007 00:20
js,
I'm going to ask you a favor and a question.
1st. Favor.
Two of my students at Mackenzie Presbyterian University in Sao Paulo are willing to prepare a monograph on 50% chrome and 50% nickel alloy, under my supervision.
The ASM Handbook shows a phase diagram of that alloy starting at 500° C. Here at Mackenzie's library there's nothing better than the ASM Handbook regarding metals and alloys.
Do you have a 50% Cr/50% Ni phase diagram starting at room temperature? If so, could you send it to me? My pupils and myself would thank you very much if you could do that.

2nd. Question.
Do you work for Alstom? I understand that Alstom boilers are the same that years ago were known by the brand of Combustion Engineering, because Combustion Engineering was bought by Alstom. Is that right?
Regards
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-13-2007 03:18
Combustion sold to ABB, then ABB sold to Alstom. Alstom has made some changes, not many however.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-13-2007 13:27
Giovanni,
I'll be gald to look and see what I have.
As for Alstom, no I don't work for them. I was googling boiler design just trying to keep up with technology. I've been out of the power loop awhile. I thought I'd post the alloys. The sophistication and specificity of the alloys utilized surprised me, though I suppose they shouldn't have. I would certainly think that other boiler OEMs are designing to specifications just as sophisticated.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-15-2007 20:07
Giovanni,
I haven't forgotten you. The only thing I've found thus far are Pseudobinary phase diagrams with Cr and Ni in an Fe matrix. The iron being stable, while the Ni and Cr vary in reverse of each other. This is typical of stainless steel soldification studies. This is where I started looking.
I will keep looking but I really don't think I have such a beast.
I have a bunch of nickel base stuff in storage. I look there next.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-15-2007 21:21
js,
I'm sorry for the disturbance I'm causing you. If you think the search is troubling you so much, please give up. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-18-2007 13:16
Giovanni,
Its really no trouble at all. I have steadily been pulling some stuff out of storage. There are some other things I'm looking for and have ben unable to find. The EPRI report on weld discontinuities discussed in another thread, Gunn's book on duplex (not cheap-Ido not wish to buy this one again), and actually the most important is a book on Mechanical Metallurgy that I can't find. So I'm looking through this stuff ayway. Not to worry.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / piping as per ASME B31.1