Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tools....
- - By Mathius (**) Date 06-06-2007 23:25
Two questions...

1.  What tools do you guys take with you all the time for a welding job?  Stuff there's a chance you might need, i.e. your tool box.

2.  What do you use to carry those tools?

I usually take an assortment of magnetic clamps, a magnetic ground adapter, angle grinder, butt weld clamps, various different vice grips, mig pliers, several welding jackets (light one, full leather) welding sleeves, gloves (hood obviously), and that stuff starts to get heavy.  I carry them in a Home Depot "Homer Bucket" (empty drywall bucket).  I was wondering if someone out there had a better idea.

I never quite know what might come in handy, so I tend to take more than I need, and my leathers take up have the bucket to begin with, but I want to be prepared.

Mathius
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-07-2007 17:15
Twenty years in the Navy going from the shop to the boat or ship I was working on, usually on foot.  I packed a bag for a job like I was packing for vacation.  I brought everything I could possibly carry, because whatever got left behind was what I needed the most.

Murphy goes with me.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-07-2007 17:25
Hustler Magazine.......
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 06-07-2007 20:22
I have  a truck load, a garage full, and a wish list. Still not enough tools.
Parent - - By Mathius (**) Date 06-08-2007 01:02
Good to know I'm not alone.  You know I took a few vocational classes on welding, learned to TIG, MIG, and a little stick.  I earned several welding certifications several years ago.  But it didn't take long to realize that the welder, while maybe the most expensive of tools, is certainly not always the most important.  I can't express how I've lamented the lack of proper cutting tools for each particular project, or the proper clamping tools for a project.  It seems like there's always a panel you can't get to to clean up for welding, or you can't close the gap properly on a panel.

Learning to weld is just the beginning.

What do you guys use to carry your tools around?

Mathius
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-09-2007 15:59
Whatever it takes.  Depends on the job.  I know indie rig welders who keep it all in their trucks.  For me, I keep a small bag and a large bag.  Sometimes I have to pack a box.  Canvas rig buckets are good and sturdy, and hold a lot. 
Parent - - By jneilson (*) Date 06-08-2007 18:46
Gotta have a good angle grinder and box full of clamps.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-10-2007 05:42
1200 lbs not including the machine, bottles, and leads. You do the math. That's plenty of tools..........
Parent - By darren (***) Date 06-11-2007 05:29
no matter what tools you do bring, there is always one that you don't that would make the job easier. one thing that i find that most job sites do not have is decent tool steel wedges, i make mine in the shop and take them with me, a bunch of different sizes. a lot of days my carharts weigh about 50lbs(slight exaggeration) and sometimes the tool belt going up on the steel weighs as much as a small horse (or so it seems), i keep a large assortment of tools in greenlee tool boxes and adapt my buckets to each individual task. what is your primary job duties when you are out on the job.
klein bolt bags are pretty good up on the steel as they tend to not get knocked over as easy as hard buckets and when the collapse as you set them down the expose the tools so you dont always have to dig through the whole bag/bucket. they suck in the mud though.
darren
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tools....