Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filler material selection in aerospace??
- - By aeroguy Date 06-07-2007 19:17
Hi all
I'm looking for a good resource that could help me choose a filler material to use when joining aerospace materials.  They're mostly nickle or cobalt based superalloys - like the Hastelloys, Inconels, Mar-Ms, etc.  Anybody know of any good websites, tables, or charts out there?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-07-2007 19:58
I assume you are a subcontractor to a prime areospace contractor. If that is the case, the entity that is responsible for the initial design should also be responsible for the proper selection of the filler metal.

Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-07-2007 20:18
Also, since you are listing what are essentially patented names that have in the industry become generic names, you might try the manufacturers. I have a library full of manuals for much of what you are asking for that was absolutely free (though it may not be now if there's been a bean counter take over). These manuals will not only talk about fillers and welding but heat treats, machining, cold forming, properties, chemistries, applications, etc.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-07-2007 21:59
One last note to add to Al's Gospel about using manufacturers design selections.

Fabrication and Repair are two entirely different worlds. 

Filler selections for fabrication may not be the same fillers chosen to do refurbishment.

All the first tier manufacturers of aerospace gear have standard practice welding manuals to help their engineers make filler decisions or engineering variences.  Remember service conditons, heat, friction, vibration, any cyclical type load may have a bearing on filler selections.

My guess is that the selections you are trying to make have already been made...  Your task may be to find out what the manufacturer wants you to do.

Just for personal study I like:
ASM Metals Handbook Vol. 6
Superalloys a Technical Guide
http://www.asminternational.org/Template.cfm?Section=Bookstore&template=Ecommerce/FileDisplay.cfm&file=ACFAACF.pdf
Parent - By aeroguy Date 06-28-2007 19:14
Thanks for the tip on the technical guide - it took me all of 30 seconds to decide I needed that book.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-08-2007 01:13
AWS D17.1 has some of the materials.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filler material selection in aerospace??