Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / d1.1 gmaw
- - By independent23 Date 06-09-2007 00:35
Hi all, I am relatively new to structural wire welding.  And since my work is doing more and more towers and structural beams I thought it would be a good idea to do some bend tests.  I am wanting to know what the parameters are for doing a bend test on 3/8" C.S. plate, .035 wire, 75/25 gas.  Most of the welds we do are t-welds in the flat and closed corner to corner vertical down 2 passes, so would this still be a good test to do, if not what would be better? thanks.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-09-2007 05:34 Edited 06-09-2007 05:38
Welcome to the forum Independent!

Rather than talk about parameters I would want to talk about process.

Short Circuit Mig and Vertical Down doesn't really inspire confidence when thinking about structures and towers.

While it is totally possible to make sound short circuit welds on 3/8 carbon steel with the gas your using, it is also likely that production work will have sidewall fusion issues.

If your work is to D1.1 you will have to do more than a few bends... You must qualify your short circuit GMAW procedure per section 4,  and only then think about WPS and welder performance testing.

Have you thought about rotating your parts into the horizontal position and using spray transfer?  If this is not possible than you may want to explore FCAW.
Parent - - By independent23 Date 06-09-2007 16:50
I have mentioned to my engineer other methods of welding such as fcaw but he seems to be content with short circuit.  I was planning on building a bend tester tool and die to use in our press brake machine to test the welds also.  I had some free time the other day so I beveled 2 3/8" plates and gapped them and did multiple passes in vertical down.   After I got 2 test peices, I then took them to the press brake and  bent them to over 90 degrees with 1" open and 10 ga. tooling thinking it would give me the most bend.  I know this isn't a great idea, but I wanted to see my weld quality.  When I bent the face side it failed because the weld pulled itself apart in the middle on the backside, not pulling apart from the steel on either edge though.  The root side passed.  Then, I took a test piece of unwelded plate, same size, and bent it just as much and the steel started to fail.  So this gave me some confidence.  What would I need to do for section 4 qual.?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-09-2007 17:39
This is not ment as a smart off reply.

You need a copy of the code.  AWS D1.1 2006 

Or

You could hire somebody to come in guide you through the process.

Working up a Procedure Qualification Record (PQR) for code qualified work is probably too in depth to spell out here in the forum... 

So get a copy of the code...  and when you begin to explore it you can bring your specific questions to the forum and get responses from some of  the best in the business.

Short Circuit transfer is really a better fit for materials 3/16 and below.  If your working on material consistantly 3/8 and above you should not be content with the engineering.
Parent - - By independent23 Date 06-09-2007 23:23
I have access to a 2004 edition not a 2006, that's why I was inquiring.  I was wanting to know the most current info.; however, if my 2004 edition will suffice I will be content with that.
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 06-11-2007 19:53
The 2004 code will be good enough to get you rolling, but if your contract states specifically that the welding is to be done to 2006 or the latest edition then you will eventually need to get a hold of the 2006 code.

For a preview of the changes between the 2004 and the 2006 code you can check the 2006 foreword online for free. The foreword has a list of changes from the previous edition; not a lot of detail but some overview is better than none. You can see the forward here, www.awspubs.com

Search for D1.1 then click "free preview".
Parent - By independent23 Date 06-12-2007 23:50
Thank you to both of you who replied your answers helped me find the info. I needed.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / d1.1 gmaw