Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Late start
- - By gogden (*) Date 06-10-2007 16:45
Hello all,
             For starters, I just want to thank everybody on this forum for their contributions. There is alot of good information here if you take the time to look. My questions concern starting a career in welding at my age (47). I have been in construction my whole life as an equipment operator, also certified concrete, masonry and structural steel inspector. The truth is, I am bored stiff with this line of work. I am considering taking a welding course and trying to get my foot in the door at one of the local pipeline companies. The school I am considering has a good industry reputation for turning out good welders. I realize that I would have to start at the bottom and take a substantial pay cut. I guess what I'd like to know is if it's too late for me to get started? Would employers give me a fair shot? What would some of you think if I showed up on your job as a 47 year old beginner? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

All the best,
                                                                                                      Gregg Ogden
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-10-2007 16:58
Hello Gregg, simply put most employers that I know are more concerned with an individuals attitude, work ethic, are they drug and alcohol free? and are they willing to listen and learn. Then they will usually give you a shot to see where your skills are at and are you teachable in the ways of their work. You're already coming in with many outside skills that may indirectly make you a more valuable hand, it sounds as though you're no stranger to the field and construction sites and many welding contractors that you may run into will appreciate that sort of insight. If you're willing and have the desire, I would certainly suggest to you to go for it. There are many others on the forum that will have lots of good advice for you as well. Best of luck and regards, aevald
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 06-11-2007 01:17
Hey Gregg,
I believe aevald really indicated the primary criteria for any employee who is evaluating a career change. Any worthwhile employer who seeks quality employees who will benefit their operation would not let age be a factor. Generally, most companies(management), and I speak of the "smart" companies(management), who have a steady growth with their respective operation, are always in need of employees who will enhance their operation, and thus the bottom line....PROFIT. I made so many moves throughout my career, it would take 4-5 pages on a resume to list. Each place though, was a stepping stone towards a knowledge base that enhanced my opportunity for a better position/wage and pursue the type of work I relish. I have been in production manufacturing for 43+ years and I truly enjoy this arena. I love welding and the feel of metal and the ability to create a "better way" or "enhancement" to produce a product more efficiently and more profitably. The company I now work for, this last 8 years, I got when I was 55. I simply showed them my qualifications, the ability to learn their operation and enhance their production, and increase their profitability. Don't let your age give you a feeling that you're not in demand.....solid work ethics, the 'hunger" to learn, the experience level you have, and the honor to give 8hrs work for 8hrs pay will land you that job. Simply show the employer you would be a benefit to their company and you can learn anything they dish out. Even to this day, I still look....believe it or not. Mainly as a challenge to myself. I have had offers.....well, more like insults as far as experience/knowledge and wage offer. I have taken some side work to help out a few companies on a limited basis and on MY terms. Works quite nicely...... Anyway, don't give up.....if a company will not hire you....simply tell them it's their loss. Good luck......Keep us informed how you fare....Denny
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 06-16-2007 17:26
Gregg,
Welcome aboard It is never to late to start and I for one would welcome the experience that you would have to offer, welding is a skill that can be taught ,work ethic and life experience cannot. "Head down ass-up" is all it takes. I would not worry about the pay cut to much as an examble I hired a guy much like yourself on my last job knew didly about weld but could rig,lay-out and out work most of the so called tradesmen that were on the job. He was worth full rate just for his past experience and the other skills he brought to the job.
Parent - - By gogden (*) Date 06-16-2007 17:49
Hello all,
             I appreciate all the advice and encouragement and have decided to go for it. I really enjoy learning new things, so I'm looking forward to the challenge. We'll see if this old dog can learn some new tricks. Thanks again.

All the best,
                                                                                                    Gregg Ogden
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-18-2007 18:04
Gregg,
I'm 51 and I'm still not sure what I want to do with my life. I'd say of you think it will make you happy. Go for it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Late start