Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Vacuum Pack 8018 Urgent
- - By jaws (*) Date 06-11-2007 17:18
I have a crack problem on welding. They have different locations for example at intersection of weld and base metal, second line between two pas, third is middle of the pas welding bead. Somebody on site baked the rods. It can be reason for crack.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-11-2007 17:44
First of all, 8018 what? What's the suffix? I take it we're talkin SMAW? Second of all, did you hear anything when the weld cracked? Did it crack during welding, some time after or immediately after?
It sounds to me like a preheat issue first of all, and then maybe restraint (evidence what sounds like centerline cracking-and the fact you say 'on site'). What base metal are you welding on?
If the rods were vacuum packed, and the integrity of the pack was maintaind there should be no reason to bake em.
Parent - - By jaws (*) Date 06-11-2007 18:35
Rods are 8018-G, Base material is ASTM A 913 Grade 65. Magnetic particle testing applied after 6 hours and welder said that while welding he found out the crack and gouged it then weld but same joint after MT has crack. It is H profile 10 meter long and 12.7 tons weight. Joint detail is X. Flange 115.9mm body is 79mm. Preheat 10 Cantirgat degree.

Thanks for help
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-11-2007 18:58
Unfortunately I have no experience with A913 QST. There are, I beleive some fellas in here that have extensive knowledge of this material.
From what I've read it is readily weldable. And given the fact that you mentioned hydrogen controlled filler, my first guess is possibly joint restraint.
I know this is not much help. Look forward to others chiming in on this one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Vacuum Pack 8018 Urgent