Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tube to Tubesheet weld symbol
- - By Hojo (*) Date 06-18-2007 18:35
Can anyone tell or show the correct weld symbol for a seal weld tube to tubesheet joint. The joint has square edges with no chamfer and the tube is flush with the face of the tubesheet.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-18-2007 19:42
The description sounds to me like a square butt weld but there should be a depth of weld indicated, or seal weld indicated in the tail.  Without having information showing depth of weld or annotated "seal weld" it would indicate a full penetration.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-18-2007 20:11
Hojo,
I'm used to see tube to tubesheets seal welds, but this is the first time I see one like the one you describe.
The seal welds I'm accostumed to see are of three types:
1. The tube protrudes say 3 millimeters (or less in some cases) beyond the tubesheet and the end is square.
2. The tube protrudes say 3 millimeters (or less) beyond the tubesheet and the end is flare.
3. The tube is flush with the tubesheet but the tubehole shows a bevel of say 2 millimeters to accomodate the seal weld.

I can't imagine how you can make a sound weld if the tube has square ends, is flush with the tubesheet and the tubehole has no bevel.

And now I'm going to ask you a special favor. I've seen that you work for Graham. Would it be possible for you to have your Commercial Dept. send me some literature (catalogs, pamphlets, articles etc.) on the ejectors and barometric condensers Graham makes? Or alternatively, can you point me up to a site where I can find such a literature? I need it for my lessons at Mackenzie Presbyterian University here in Sao Paulo. Thank you.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-18-2007 20:17
Giovani, you are correct and we have work right now from Graham, Graham are experts in tube to tubesheet welding and I can probably refer the poster to a specific person in the Graham department... try looking up Mr. Patrick Pierce of Graham Manufacturing, he has done some work at my facility and he is among the best I've met.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-18-2007 23:14
Thanks, Jon, I really appreciate your kindness.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tube to Tubesheet weld symbol