Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminium Smaw
- - By dasimonds (**) Date 06-19-2007 18:50
Has anyone had any experience with Al SMAW?
I have some 6063 sch. 40 2", 2 1/2", and 5" to weld together, and hopefully it comes out looking like a boat dock.
I have a 100A Arc-one welding machine, but am doubtful if it puts out enough amperage for Aluminium electrodes.
Any help appreciated.
Dale Simonds
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-20-2007 02:44
I did use aluminum stick welding once, it was a bit trickey and looked like S***, but it did work. The rods I had were 1/8 for DC. I don't know the actual amps, but it was probably arround 100, the engine drive I used doesn't have specific settings. Remove ALL flux when done, if I remember, it becomes corosive when wet.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 06-20-2007 12:55
I remember that when we tried to use AL smaw that I found if you preheat the metal it helps.  We were using a dc machine and I ran the polarity opposite of what the box said and it seemed to work better for me.  And yes the slag is corrosive, I had heard that it is several different salts.

Charles Welch
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 06-21-2007 23:10
Pre-heat for sure, We used to heat with a carbourizing flame untill it was black ,Then heat with a nuetral flame until clean,a quick wire brush and weld . I can't remember the rods we we're useing. The welds turned out looking ok - not great. Would not be my first choice for repair unless I had no other means of welding.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-22-2007 09:30
I have heard of doing this in a pinch and it always looked like hammered (*&^#$($)  but held.  I have used it on one occasion when the A/C machine was out of commission.....I was not at all comfortable with the weld job (on a farm hopper) but....we got no complaints after the fact about any failures.   One thing about it  I remember is pinholes at the edges of the weld (maybe lack of skill/experience with the rod)....that might be a problem for somthing thats gotta float.  If you are set on doing it that way try to experiment with the heat on test pieces....I did not have any scrap to test my work on and it definitly did not flow like I expected.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-23-2007 04:13 Edited 06-23-2007 04:24
I looked at a package of aluminum rods I have on hand [NOT the same brand as ones I have used], it suggests 50-80 amps for 3/32 and 80-130 amps for 1/8 rods. Suggested preheat is 400 F for better results on heavier parts. It says to hold a short arc and fast travel speed. What I remember is that the rods seemed to burn really fast, I may have been using too many amps & too long an arc. I was welding 2" sch 40 pipe to 1/8 and 3/8 flat stock & 3/8 to 3/8 flat, I didn't preheat, probably should have.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminium Smaw