Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 7018 uphill triangle weave?
- - By mdu (*) Date 06-19-2007 20:22
Is it safe to do on xray welds?  I haven't seen many people that actually do it. Is middle pause, slightly back on the bevel pause, across pause, then repeat the correct way to do it?  I'm trying different techniques for uphill weaves.  If anybody knows any besides the zigzag motion, it would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By JA (**) Date 06-20-2007 00:54
theres many ways to do it,,,,,,,,,too many........it depends on a lot of things,,,,,angle,,,magnetic field,,,,how hot the base metal is (pre-heat) ect.....

just watch the puddle an do what ever it takes to walk it up....and once you and the whole operation becomes "one" with each other , the rest will come naturally,,,,,whatever that may be.........
Parent - - By Rparz Date 06-20-2007 00:57
This works best on 5g (bellholle) if you're pipe welding.   It works great for stacking up some metal in a hurry.  Watch, as it will get hot.  (Start to get runny, if you're stacking a lot) I was shown (by an old timer) to hold the top part just long enough to watch the slag roll around the side of the puddle then go back and hit the sides as far back as I want to stack.   I could fill out in one pass if I wanted.   As far as x-ray, I don't see why it couldn't be used for x-ray.  You can weld anyway you like, dance a jig even, as long as you watch your puddle, tie in your sides, stay in the puddle, and don't trap slag.  You get the idea.  Granted, it does leave a bit of a zigzag pattern, so I mainly use this technique for a fill pass to flush it out then put a nice nuke weave on the cap.

What are you trying to accomplish? 
Parent - - By mdu (*) Date 06-20-2007 03:26
I'm taking a 3g plate test soon.  Only thing that I usually welded in position was using tig, mig, or flux-cored.
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 06-20-2007 08:12
It is called an "inverted vee", and is fine for x-ray. Just remember you want to be slightly (1/16") from being flush with the base metal and you can carry some metal if you have to and is great from 6 o'clock to 9 or 6 o'clock to 3 and being more than 1/16" from being flush.
Parent - - By mdu (*) Date 06-21-2007 01:40
Thanks. I think I will try it out.
Parent - - By Rparz Date 06-21-2007 03:30
It sounds like you're asking because you're having some difficulties and looking for another technique to possibly solve it.  What's the issue you're having, perhaps we can better assist you if we know what you're looking for?  You can do any number of different things as far as motion, but it's more in holding the sides long enough to tie them in the right heat, etc....
Parent - - By mdu (*) Date 06-21-2007 12:08
When the groove is narrow its hard for me to weave without the middle humping up.  I usually run 110amp-120amp.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 06-21-2007 18:59
What size pipe are you working with? this will determine alot too. Personally I will run 3/32 low high for my hot pass and bump it up to 1/8 for a single pass cap ( 6 " sch 40). Running 95 amp hot pass and a 120 amp cap.
Parent - - By Rparz Date 06-21-2007 23:32
The triangle weave pattern may actually exasperate your problem.  First off, are you getting your fill pass/passes in pretty flat?  If so, you want to hold your sides a sec then scream across to the other side; the middle will take care of itself.
Parent - - By mdu (*) Date 06-22-2007 01:22
When you go across the middle, do you stop at the edge of the previous weld or do you go up on the bevel some pass the weld and hold?  When I hold the sides it doesn't matter if i zip across the middle or not, it seems to all go to the middle.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 06-22-2007 03:03
That may be the result of to steep a rod angle.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 06-22-2007 04:02 Edited 06-22-2007 04:05
Yah you need to keep the rod angle a hair under or right on 90 * to the pipe. try not to weave at all.... just let it run in. You may have to wag it a little to keep the edges tied in, just let the rod run itself in. Youll get it.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-22-2007 09:57 Edited 06-22-2007 10:50
MDU

there are a lot of different weave techniques...as said before the most important thing is to watch your (live) puddle and not the cooling edges or slag.   I had tons of trouble trying to learn 7018 vert...but I had no teachers either.  One of the easiest patterns/motions you can do is a U shape  hot up and pause on the sides then just a gentle cradle up to the other.  This makes a nice looking cap and will pass an xray just fine.  It also builds a pretty uniform ...just barely raised in the middle bead.  You can do a stack fall and raise technique as well  ...go up on one side flow back down to the other side then up and back down to the other side where you left (more horizontal than down really) and get a strange looking figure eight pattern going on your weave that will pass...this makes a very flat overall bead.  7018 is a good rod and is very forgiving once you can fill and walk your puddle up in control. The triangle weave will fill a joint in a hurry...you dont neccessarily need that technique to pass your xray. Pay attention to your rod angle as you practice this...gentle pointed up  not too much...and keep it close don't let that arc get long.

I don't know if your taking a test or not but...  

Having said that I recommend you fill your test/job joint with stringers till you reach or are above the surface of the plate.  Clean completely  every single pass rake it with a chipping hammer (especially the edges of each bead) and brush the pee out of each  pass.   Then cap it with your weave or just build more stringers just above the surface.  It will shoot good long as you dont walk behind your puddle and clean well between passes. 

Good luck with it
Tommy
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-22-2007 16:41
If your puddle is hot the whole time, it really doesn't matter how you do it. Long as you're tied in good on the sides....
Parent - By mdu (*) Date 06-22-2007 17:23
Thanks everyone for the replies, you all have been a big help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 7018 uphill triangle weave?