Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / minmum specified strength of steel
- - By emcc Date 06-19-2007 20:48
What does "minimum specified strength of steel" refer to? Yield or Ultimate strength? Is this exact phrase in any of the codes so that it can be clarified?
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 06-19-2007 20:54
Where do you see this phrase in the D1.1 code? Section, Table, or Figure number would be helpful.
Parent - By emcc Date 06-20-2007 15:42
I haven't seen it in the D1.1 code but was wondering if it was there. This phrase is in the ASTM code C76 8.1.8.1 and C985 6.2.2.2. I wasn't sure which strength this was refering to?
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 06-20-2007 12:40
Not sure if this is exactly what your looking for but there are similar references to this in other standards.
C.F.R. pt 192 SMYS = Specified Minimum Yield Strength
API 1104 5.4.2.2 Base Material "Specified Minimum Yeild Strength" is referenced in material grouping for procedures.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 06-20-2007 13:25
Minimum strength of steel refers to the minimum yield stress (or range) and the minimum tensile stress (or range) of a given grade of steel.  This is the basis for design calculations when determining the steel grade that will be required to support the stresses to be imposed on the member. 
Parent - By emcc Date 06-20-2007 16:00
So, "minimum specified strength of steel" is refering to both strengths simultaneously, simply as a description of the steel grade one is using?

ASTM C76 8.1.8.1 concerning welded splices uses this phrase and it seems that it is asking for one or the other, I was wondering if this phrase shows up anywhere in the D1.1 code?

ASTM C76 8.1.8.1:
When splices are welded and are not lapped...pull tests of representative specimens shall develop at least 50% of the "minimum specified strength of the steel", and there shall be a minmum lap of 2in. For butt-welded splices in bars or wire...pull tests of representative specimens shall develop at least 75% of the "minimum specified strength of the steel".

Is the code incorrect in phrasing this in this way? Which strength should the test use?

I really appreciate your help...this is just a bit confusing. It would seem that testing to only 50-75% of the yield strength would not really demonstrate the strength of the weld, whereas testing to 50-75% of the tensile (ultimate?) strength would demonstrate the strength of the weld...However would 75% of the tensile (ultimate?) strength ever be greater than the yield strength?

I am a reinforced concrete pipe/box culvert design engineer and was just needing some welding expertise.

Thank you for your help...
Parent - - By emcc Date 06-20-2007 16:04
Thank you, I will look those up....Do you know if "Specified Minimum Tensile/Ultimate Strength" ever shows up?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 06-20-2007 16:14
look at aws d1.1 1.2(1). does this help?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / minmum specified strength of steel