Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Microstructure of SS 304L
- - By riad Date 06-19-2007 21:18
HI.. i have a request please, and my request is if the guys can help me to find any thing about the microstructure of 304L stainless steel
thanks
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 06-19-2007 21:41
What do you want to know about the microstructure of the 304L?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-20-2007 21:34 Edited 06-21-2007 12:03
Just to begin with, AISI 304 L is an austenitic stainless steel with a low carbon content, symbolized by the letter L.
Austenite is the allotropic form of iron (i.e., the form at which iron shows up) at a mean temperature above 723°C (you translate into Farenheit). Below that temperature the allotropic form is ferrite. "Mean" means that when heating the the transformation temperature is a little bit higher and when cooling is a little bit lower. In any case, that figure of 723 °C varies by plus or minus 2-3 degrees according to the book you're are looking at. 
Austenite (named after the English scientist Austin) has a microstucture consisting in atoms arranged in a face centered cubic pattern and is non magnetic, and that's why 304 L ss is non magnetic.
Ferrite (named after the latin word "ferrum" -iron-) has a microstucture consisting in atoms arranged in a body centered cubic pattern and is magnetic, and that's why carbon steel is magnetic.
Now, how it comes that 304L is austenitic at room temperature if austenite is stable at above 723°C ? Because 304L contains the so called austenizing elements, i.e., elements that stabilize the austenite even at room temperature, like nickel, carbon and manganese.
Looked at the metallographic microscope, 304L shows austenite grains. Attention though! It's necessary to have quite a bit of experience to distinguish metallographic structures on the microscope.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-21-2007 03:11
Allotropic- able to exist in more than one physical or chemical form (paraphrased from the gnu dictionary).

Thus- austenite and ferrite are two allotropes of iron.

Bill
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-21-2007 12:06
Thanks, Bill. I've already corrected the words on my posting.
You see, English is not my mother language, so I'm allowed to make those tiny mistakes.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-22-2007 05:12
For a person who has English as a second language, or for that matter a first language, yours is just fine.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Microstructure of SS 304L