Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / XMT 304
- - By num4 Date 06-20-2007 10:40
Hello there,
I am planning on buying an xmt 304 miller, however,and I need to used it both tig and mig from this power supply. In order to use the mig I need a wire feeder,however, my question is that to use it for Tig, what else do I need beside a Tig torch? Does the tig torch connects straight to the power supply? DO I need an adaptor, and where does my argon gas hose connects?
Is this a good idea to buy this machin if someone needs both tig and mig? ( Concidering the budget).
And at the end, is anyone selling his xmt 304, need it to be shipped to Canada.

Thanks guys
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-20-2007 15:39
Now when you buy this welder keep in mind the only tig welding you will be able to do is stainless, carbon steel, basically anything you can do with straight polarity.  You will not be able to do aluminum with this machine.  As for your your tig setup i'm pretty sure you going to need a jumper.  Your argon hose will screw into the back of that and your air cooled tig torch with a gas valve on it will be screwed into the other end.  Your power supply will connect to that jumper.  There is a remote contactor output on this machine so you can run a remote, but i'm pretty sure you need a tig torch that has a gas valve on it because there is no solenoid in the machine or hose fitting for remote operated gas flow.
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 06-20-2007 16:01
To tig of the XMT you will need a torch with a gas control valve mounted at the torch. The XMT has no gas solinoid to control gas flow. I believe Weldcraft makes a torch that will work. You run gas from the tank to the connection on the torch lead and then plug the torch lead into the machine. You will need a torch with a dinse connector to plug into the machine as these machines leave the factory with dinse recepatcles. DC current only, no AC aluminum. Tig will also have to be performed using lift-arc or scratch start, unless you pickup a HF-251 box for high frequency starts. The machine does have a 14 pin connector to allow hookup for remote control. XMT's are excellent machines, if you plan on doing much aluminum tig work it's not the right machine, a Dynasty or Synchrowave would be a better choice. If you primarily do a lot of GMAW or SMAW, with occasional DC tig, they are a very good choice.
Parent - - By welder53 (*) Date 06-20-2007 17:28
We have 7 XMT's 304 welding machines in our shop.
They all have built in solinoid's to control the gas flow.  We use foot pedals on the machines.
They also have built in high-frequency, so no need to buy an extra high-frequency unit.
Parent - By reddoggoose (**) Date 06-20-2007 17:35 Edited 06-20-2007 17:39
With all due respect to welder53, no xmt leaves Miller with built in high frequency. As for a gas solenoids, they are only available in the XMT350's as an option. Foot pedals can be used on the machine to control the contactor and amperage control, but there is no high frequency built into the machines in the XMT family.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / XMT 304