Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS using E-8010-G as root pass and E-7018 as fill and cap
- - By Jorge Sierra Date 06-20-2007 20:11 Edited 06-20-2007 22:30
Dear collegues
We are consulting about  Learning lessons  ,using the WPS mentioned in above  Subject.We found    cracks in  nine   girth welds  using the metal filler of the subject ,on A-53 Gr B pipework in a  hot water process line. The T° design it is 150°C the Pressure it is 350 PSI, the fluid is Desmineralized Water, the problem founded was  in the root pass of  the joint pipe to Elbow , Nominal diameter 12" and Schedule standard.The piping has insulate from 3" in order to conservate the energy.

I hope than yours can help me with your comments and learning lessons about this problems

Thank¨s

Jorge Sierra

Sorry it is E-8010-G as corrected
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-20-2007 22:54
Why are you using 8010 for the root with A53 GrB Pipe? You are over welding the pipe! 5P or P+ would be better than 8010. Keep the time between the bead and hot pass 5 minutes or less. I would venture to say the welds are tacked up then the bead is put in and hours may pass between the tack up, bead and weld out. When you start talking bead cracking on A53 is either a bad procedure or between the shoulder and the holder.
If you have a good procedure, no issues between the shoulder and the holder, then it is the pipe. Many years ago I was on a project that speced out 5LlX42 or equal. Running 5P+ stringer and 85P HP to Cap. 35% of the welds cracked. Pulled some straps and the pipe was X80. For some reason the pipe had not met the specs for X80 so they downgraded it and sold it as X42.
BABRT's
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS using E-8010-G as root pass and E-7018 as fill and cap