Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / API-1104 Repair Procedure
- - By rmiller1107 Date 06-21-2007 02:10
Can anyone explain to me what exactly a "repair procedure" means with API-1104?  I read it, but I must be missing something.  Does this mean that if my shop made a weld with SAW and a repair was made on this weld with GTAW that I have to have a special procedure with Destructive testing for it to be done in accordance with the code?  Or does it mean that I can combine a SAW WPS with a GTAW WPS and include notes in relation to repairs, i.e, "defect shall be removed my means of" and "shall be retested by means of"?

I am the QC Mgr for an ASME code shop.  We recently took on a job constructed to B31.8 and inspected to API-1104.  B31.8 states that Section 9 welders and procedures may be used for fabrication, but API-1104 rules apply for repairs.  As you can probably guess, all of my procedures are ASME Section 9.  Can you see my dilemma?
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 06-21-2007 12:24
Sympathies to you, as I know what you are going through.

My experience has been that when referenced, the WPS you use for repairs must be qualified the same way you would qualify a "regular" WPS.  For repairs this means that you weld up a coupon, grind out a portion of the weld (through to the root); and reweld it.  After that, it is subject to destructive testing as usual.

Things to clarify ahead of time:  preheat (many customers specify elevated preheat for repairs); position (some customers require that three locations (6, 3 and 12 o-clock) be ground out and rewelded; notch toughness (if Charpy testing is required, keep the cumulative heat input low, or you may fail the Charpy test).

Charles
Parent - - By rmiller1107 Date 06-21-2007 13:07
Thanks Charles, I was afraid of that.  Being as how it is now after the fact, I hope that this customer will be willing to let me do the procedure now.  I took my code book portion of my CWI exam to API-1104 and I remember thinking back then how lenient this code seemed to be.  The more I work with it, the more I see how much stricter they are in some areas.

Ray
Parent - - By rmiller1107 Date 06-22-2007 02:03
Any other input from anyone else is definitely welcome
Parent - By chall (***) Date 06-22-2007 12:08
I hate to push this question in a different direction, but part of the answer lies in the CFR.  10CFR49 - 192 is a DOT section dealing with gas transmission lines and the realted equipment.

10CFR49, Section 192.245.c says the following:  Repair of a crack or defect in a previously repaired area must be in accordance with written weld repair procedures, qualified in accordance with 192.225.  Repair procedures must provide that the minimum mechanical properties specified for the welding procedure used to make the original weld are met upon completion of the final weld repair.

Section 192.225 allows qualification of a WPS under both ASME and API.  API took the position that repair welds may adversely impact the properties of the base metal, therefore qualification of the WPS (after simulating repair) is required.  ASME makes no distiction with regard to that position.  It causes folks like us (who spend most of our time dealing with ASME governed projects) to wonder.  Personally, I think it's not a bad position (API).  I have a problem with some of the positions they take, but this seems reasonable to me.  If I was better schooled in the fine points of metallurgy, I may have a different position.  However, my depth of knowledge is pretty thin, so this seems reasonable.

Since gas line owner / operators are 100% responsible for the line (regardless of who does the construction or maintenance) they rely heavily on what they know best; which in most cases is the API code.  Furthermore, they are quick to point out the CFR basis for their decision making when it is an obvious call (as they belive the repair issue is). 

My rant would be this:  They are quick to point to the CFR, but for some reason they overlook the allowance to use an ASME program almost every time.  It usually boils down to "that's the way we've always done it."
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-23-2007 23:08
A 1104 repair procedure consist of making a regular  butt weld, Then removing weld metal including the bead. You measure the perameters just like when setting the original procedure. I make the procedure repairs in the quarters. and have at least 4 inches of bead replaced.
Basically id is make a weld, grind out the weld, re-weld and tear them apart.
BABRT's
Parent - By rmiller1107 Date 07-16-2007 14:31
thanks to all that helped in this matter.  Looks like I will be starting a repair procedure pretty soon.

Ray
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / API-1104 Repair Procedure