Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / axle yoke problem
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-22-2007 16:52
Been trying to figure out this damn vibration in my old Chevy. Traced it to the rear axle yoke. The yoke is either wore out or the wrong one for my dana60. The u-joints don't fit snug in the cups of the yoke. Would this make my truck damn near rattle apart at the seams? I compared light duty, and heavy duty joints, and I definatly put the right ones in.......help!

p.s. 383ci, 205 tcase married to a th400/w b&m kit, dana 60's front and rear, and custom drivelines.......she runs.
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 06-22-2007 18:43
i have a built jeep that i take out every once in a while, anyway what i did was got ahold of some u-bolt u-joint keepers (i think from a ford) as long as the hole centers match they will work, then i actually drilled thru the tapped yoke holes in the rearend clean thru and used little locknuts on the backside. this works very good to get rid of slop, be careful not to overtighten or it will crush the caps. hope this helps. sounds like a beast of a rig for sure!

jj
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-23-2007 02:29
If you talk to a driveshaft builder he may be able to fix you up with a U-joint that fixes the mismatch.  You may be right about the yoke being worn out.  It will definitely cause a vibration.
Bill
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-23-2007 04:55
If You ran it much with the wrong cups You probably distorted the yoke, otherwise You have a mismatch of parts. With the truck up on jackstands check the driveshaft for runout, it shouldn't be noticable. In any case all the parts have to fit, but You knew that already. If You put on a really high lift kit You are asking for problems, the angle at the front joint should be close to the angle at the rear joint, is it?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-23-2007 20:56
factory lift camper special. Inever have been a fan of monster trucks. Function before fashion.....
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / axle yoke problem