Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What is a master welder.
- - By schwag Date 06-22-2007 17:57
[deleted]
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-24-2007 03:29
To me a master-welder can do all the manual welding and cutting processes with little are know trouble and he has several years experience behind him.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-25-2007 15:08
I've heard this question before but never heard any official description from a trade union or governing body.

This is how the American Welding Society defines welders through the S.E.N.S.E program

DEFINITIONS OF WELDERS

Entry Level Welder (Level I)
An Individual employed in this position is considered to posses a prerequisite amount of knowledge, attitude, predictable, receptive, proceduralized tasks involving motor skills and limited theoretical knowledge while working under close supervision.

Advanced Welder (Level II)
An Individual employed in this position is considered to possess a prerequisite amount of knowledge, attitude, skills, and habits required to perform proceduralized tasks under general supervision, and complex tasks involving the use of theoretical knowledge and motor skills under close supervision.

Expert Welder (Level III)
An individual employed in this position is considered to possess a prerequisite amount of knowledge, attitude, skills, and habits required to perform tasks autonomously, including the selection and use of appropriate techniques and equipment, and to apply theoretical knowledge and motor skills with minimum supervision.

Tulsa Tech will hand you a *Master Welder* designation for a mere $11,000 and 30 week time investment and a 2.0 grade point average.
http://oracle-web.petersons.com/ccc92/display_pdf?p_instance_id=123829.pdf

"The Master Welder program prepares a graduate for entry level positions in structural, pipe, thin alloy, and pipeline welding. Key welding processes include SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, FCAW, and high frequency GTAW. The program contains ten training phases of three weeks each."
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-25-2007 15:12
I've heard this question before but never heard any official description from a trade union or governing body.

This is how the American Welding Society defines welders through the S.E.N.S.E program

DEFINITIONS OF WELDERS

Entry Level Welder (Level I)
An Individual employed in this position is considered to posses a prerequisite amount of knowledge, attitude, predictable, receptive, proceduralized tasks involving motor skills and limited theoretical knowledge while working under close supervision.

Advanced Welder (Level II)
An Individual employed in this position is considered to possess a prerequisite amount of knowledge, attitude, skills, and habits required to perform proceduralized tasks under general supervision, and complex tasks involving the use of theoretical knowledge and motor skills under close supervision.

Expert Welder (Level III)
An individual employed in this position is considered to possess a prerequisite amount of knowledge, attitude, skills, and habits required to perform tasks autonomously, including the selection and use of appropriate techniques and equipment, and to apply theoretical knowledge and motor skills with minimum supervision.

Tulsa Tech will hand you a *Master Welder* designation for a mere $11,000 and 30 week time investment and a 2.0 grade point average.
http://oracle-web.petersons.com/ccc92/display_pdf?p_instance_id=123829.pdf

"The Master Welder program prepares a graduate for entry level positions in structural, pipe, thin alloy, and pipeline welding. Key welding processes include SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, FCAW, and high frequency GTAW. The program contains ten training phases of three weeks each."

TWI has a designation of Master Welding Instructor through CSWIP http://www.cswip.com/pdfs/8th_EDITION_REGISTRATION_VWI_WI_AND_SWI.pdf
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 06-24-2007 13:12
Hey schwag,
IMHO, I'll attempt to give you a brief summation of what I would consider a person who is classified as a "Master Welder". After welding 43+ years in SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, Plasma, O/A, Induction, and Resistance, tool & die making, machinist(cnc & manual), Production Design, Fabrication, and field("on-the-road") experience, I couldn't make a pimple on a "Master Welders" butt.

A Master Welder would deserve that title:
1.) Proficient in all the above processes and the newest ones.
2.) Experience in rig, structural, pipeline, aircraft & aerospace, underground, underwater, vessel, automotive, marine, food service, shop & production, rail, bridge, platform, and can pass every test required in a heartbeat.
3.) Has a degree in Metallurgy & Engineering.
3.) Worked over 16hrs non-stop, in a smoke-filled environment, 100+deg., -30deg., in a thunderstorm, inside a confined space, 200+feet above ground level, 200+ feet below ground level, 200+feet underwater, hanging from superstructure, upsidedown, welding with a mirror, and all with wearing the necessary protective gear.
4.) Has a family, home, & all those responsibilities.
5.) Never gets upset with the job, co-workers, hours, duties, time constrictions, and especially quality.

Now, there's a brief of the title to be earned if there is such a title. I know others here will include all I have missed to make sure the title is justly accurate for that moniker---Master Welder. If the title can be had in 40 years....I will salute & bow in reverence to be sure......Denny
Parent - - By schwag Date 06-25-2007 19:17
Hey yorkiepap,
You forgot the most important one.A master welder must be able to sit on a 24" pipe with a stinger in both hands weld all the way around down hill.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-26-2007 01:22
Yea and blindfolded.
Parent - By fusionman1000 Date 06-25-2007 05:35
Around here a master welder is a person that is usually associated with a union. He is somebody who has completed an apprenticeship and spent time as a journeyman in the trade. After years of experience he or she submits an application for master of trade...welding. After that they are reviewed and or tested and become a master welder, a person who can supervise other welders. My friends father is a master pipefitter/welder...he doesn't weld anymore he just runs the jobs. IMHO a MASTER welder is a person who meets the experience of the previous post =) I hope that isn't confusing. The master welder you are talking about is probably just like a master carpenter, master electrician and so fourth ;-)
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 06-26-2007 01:30
Mr. Mark Buskovitz and Mr. Paul Hendricks from Pennsylvania, transcend the definition of a Master Welder. They are there, and they are doing all of the above, and then some. Integrity and character are the main attributes of a Master Welder.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What is a master welder.