Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weaving Limits
- - By cnd Date 06-24-2007 11:31
Can anyone provide a technical basis for width limits on weaving for carbon steels, stainless steels and nickel alloys or point to a good technical resource for discussion.  I realize this is a complex question and can vary by alloy family, welding process, welding position, etc.  However, I have been unable to develop a overall understanding on this subject. I just see the 2X-3X limit (on consumable diameter) quoted on welding procedures and miscellaneous literature.  Any comments would be welcome.  Thanks in advance
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-24-2007 18:44 Edited 06-24-2007 18:48
cnd,

That has been a subject of much discussion on the forum. Rather than re-running it again, I suggest going to the search button and using "heat input weave" as keywords.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 06-25-2007 00:13
One aspect of weaving that has never been discussed, but might be useful to shop welders, is can the possible damaging excessive heat input due to weaving be countered by typical PWHT of say ~1100-1200 deg F per inch thickness.  And if your post weld treatment includes any type of solution treatment or a Q&T procedure, do we really care very much about excess weld heat input?

I wish someone could reply to this idea.
Thankyou if you do.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-25-2007 00:41
PWHT, Solution annealing, and even cryogenic stress relieving are all ways to relieve intergranular stress. However; some things cannot be addressed by them as they are chemical bonding/composition issues. Further, PWT does not address the potential discontinuities created by excessive weaving such as side wall lack of fusion on high nickel welds. In short, I believe it to be a slippery slope trying to shoot that particular needle of what will and what won't matter when it comes to weaving.

Regards,
Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weaving Limits