Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Prolonged Oven Storage of SMAW Lo-Hy Rods
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 06-24-2007 16:10
I found several opened cans of 7018 and 8018 SMAW electrodes that have been stored in the ovens for a long, long, LONG time. Probably over 2-years! We know this because they have an H4 and H4R suffix, which were specifically speced out for a shop job 2-years ago.  Then we realized that we have no clue as to how long most of the cans and loose rods in our ovens have really been in there.  The ovens seem to be a repository for all left over and orphaned rods.

My question: Will extended periods of oven storage have any degrading effect on the coatings or the rods? (we are strictly shop welders).

Thanks
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 06-25-2007 07:28
Hey Tom,

just as one of the greatest experts in the forum, js55, already mentioned in his reply, see also:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=64447;hl=#pid64447

there is a numerous amount of discussions in regard to similar topics here to find.

From my point of view one of the most interesting ones is surely:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=63754;hl=stick%20electrodes#pid63754

I guess the best source of information is and will ever be the electrode supplier himself.

In Germany we have a standardized information in regard to the storage conditions of stick electrodes.

I have translated it to be seen below:

"To prevent the impermissible generation of moisty electrode covers and furthermore to avoid moisture affected damages of the stick electrodes (e.g. core wire corrosion) the storage of the electrodes is recommended to be accomplished in a dry stockroom. As far as no different electrode supplier specification is available, a relative humidity of < 60% and a temperature of > + 18°C (64,4F) is to redeem."

I have once found also a suppliers information where a maximum storage time for unsealed electrodes of 2 years in general is recommended to be not exceeded.

Due to not knowing the temperature range under the stick electrodes have been stored by you in the oven, it is certainly hard to make a prediction about their current quality conditions. And finally it depends surely on the welding-application itself and the quality requirements belonging to this to answer the question if it is reasonable to use covered stick electrodes having an age of several years.

Finally I am sure that your own personal experience by estimating a practical welding trial in the shop will answer the question if the electrodes are furthermore usable or not and thus to be used for high qualitatively welding-applications.

So far my humble opinion.

Best regards,
Stephan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Prolonged Oven Storage of SMAW Lo-Hy Rods