Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Marweld or Maraging ??
- - By Hawk 3 Date 06-26-2007 18:40
Are Marweld and Maraging the same thing? Is it true that you can weld tool steel (Premium H-13 diecast cavity blocks) with Maraging or Marweld without pre-heating the work piece? If this is so, is there any advangage to preheating, or any disadvantage to not?  Hawk
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-27-2007 05:25
I don't know what Marweld is, it sounds like a trade name for a product. Maraging steels are a class of high strength steels quite a bit different in composition from H13 with a completely different mechanism for developing strength and hardness. While hardened Maraging  (C) 300 has properties similar to hardened H13 and might be used for the same purpose, I [not knowing for sure that it can be done] wouldn't suggest using a Maraging filler on the H13 due to the area of dilution between the 2 being some unknown mixture with unknown properties. The Maraging literature says that IT [maraging steel] can be welded without preheat, so I guess it can. Conventional tool steels are preheated to reduce the chances of cracking from streses from the weld deposit contracting as it cools. I tried to google "Marweld" and couldn't get anything usefull, I did come up with Eureka electrodes in My search, but it is not the same Eureka that made the tool & die electrodes years ago. If anybody has a definative answer, I too would like to read it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Marweld or Maraging ??