Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifying a welder with FCAW
- - By catdaddy68 Date 06-27-2007 23:58
I have a welder who is certified with FCAW dualshield all positions and I am curious if that counts for innershield as well.  I know that it is the same process but D1.1 table 4.5 (19) says that you have to requalify a WPS if you switch from a shielding gas to no gas.  Wouldn't you have to requalify a welder if he switches from a shielding gas to no gas as well?

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-28-2007 00:48
Hi catdaddy68!
According to my own copy of AWS D1.1 2002, that is exactly what is written so the answer is to your query is a resounding YES!!!

First look at the first left column underneath the title on the first page (134) of table 4.5 where it is written: "Essential Variable Changes to PQR Requiring Requalification" Meaning anything listed underneath that statement on th first left column of the the table are Essential Variables...

In other words all of those essential variables listed throughout table 4.5 require requalification provided that the change falls under the process being used, and the change is NOT within the parameters, or is specified in each essential variable.

Now to get specific, one must scroll down the column to the appropriate statement that matches the given change in an essential variable, then go across the page to see if the corresponding process requires a change by having an "X" marked in the slot of the table...

Table 4.5 on page 135, line #19, 1st left column) states: "A change in shielding gas from a single gas to any other single gas or mixture of gas, or in the specified nominal percentage composition of a gas mixture, or to NO GAS"
This is applicable when GMAW, FCAW and GTAW is used.
This should clarify your query ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-28-2007 04:28 Edited 06-28-2007 04:30
Cat

You are really asking two questions.

Henry is on the button when he advises you about procedure qualificaiton... If you change the Essencial variables (like adding or deleating shield gas) you must change the WPS whether it is pre qualified or qualified by testing.

Now as far a welder performance qualificaiton goes... A welder qualified for FCAW self shielded is also qualified to run Gas shielded FCAW (or visa versa) as long as he/she is provided with the correct WPS (a WPS within the material/thicnkess/position range of his/her performance qualification).
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifying a welder with FCAW