Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / student's needing work
- - By ryland (*) Date 06-28-2007 15:34
hello fellow welder's and employer's, I am an instructor that is having some trouble with getting the student's to move and go get jobs away from their comfort zones (home) and the market is full right now, is there any suggestions or comments you can offer other than the money thats involed with brand new welder's. Thank Ryland
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-28-2007 17:09
It would help to know where you are.  My company regularly hires entry-level welders.  Some stay for quite a while, others learn what they can and move on.  Most of what we do here is steel GMAW to D1.1, Aluminum GMAW to D1.2, a little bit of D1.3 and D1.6 work, and GTAW to D17.1.  We are very tolerant of anyone who likes to learn, and for that this is a great place to work.  However, here in the San Antonio area the wages may not be the highest in the country.
Parent - By ryland (*) Date 07-06-2007 16:47
this school is here in enid oklahoma, some of these boys and girls can rock your world in this work, but it is the the ability to leave and not have any help that scares them. thanks for your reply.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 06-29-2007 15:50
Tell you what if the students do not want to move out of their comfort zone to learn and work in their choosen field ,then they should just go home to Mom. Or the other choose might be is just get off their a$$. If they are not prepared to take the first step themselfs what good are they going to be anyway.
Parent - - By upsidedown Date 06-29-2007 18:58 Edited 06-29-2007 21:30
Hello,

I have the same problem with a few teenagers that I have worked with.  I spent my twenties in the U.S. Coast Guard traveling the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, and the Carribean and Bearing Seas; it was the best expirence of my life.  I try to explain that traveling is fun.  It promotes independence and you absorb knowledge as you go.  I tell them that the good expirences far outweigh the bad; and, in retrospect there were no bad expirences, only learning expirences. Among other things, I discovered that I love Alaska, and Canadian people are friendly; Haiti has it problems and New York City is truely a concrete jungle.  The internet and books do not compare to the expirence of visiting these places and meeting the local people.  I learned that people are turely interested in other people from other places; working and personal relationships that last a lifetime are spawned.  Traveling promotes a sense of freedom and independence unatainable by any other means; freedom and independence spawn responsibility. A sense of freedom and independence, and personel responsibility are the core qualities of a leader.

I believe that traveling is a vital part of our personel development.  If your students are still learning (developing) where they are, then maybe it's not time to move on.  They need only to ask their bosses if they can work their way into that position and beyond in a reasonable amount of time.  I am fortunate enough to be on my second federal dam projcet and I would never have got here by being satisfied with my previous jobs.  Furthermore, young people need to understand that jumping from the $10-$20 an hour range to the $25-$35+ an hour range is truely a life changing expirence and is something to strive for.

Never Satisfied,
Eric
Parent - By ryland (*) Date 07-06-2007 16:53
as like you eric, I believe in the same thing as you and I teach them that, never be satisfied, but in our country, very conservatiive, that you never burn a bridge as well, after the reagan depression, that all most destroyed our economy here, it has taken 30 years to recover and things are finally starting to get better, but this job market is flooded right now. thanks for your response
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-06-2007 17:46
A good place for welders to find jobs nationwide is the website weldingjobs.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / student's needing work