Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Low-Temp titanium brazing
- - By Zeek (**) Date 06-29-2007 16:49
Does anyone know of any low temperature brazing or soldering methods out there for titanium?  I'm looking at bonding titanium 6al-4v sheet to beta titanium sheet.    The aluminum brazing requires temperatures that are too high and the same thing goes for the Ti-Cu-Ni brazing.  Is there anything else out there?  Thanks.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-30-2007 02:52
I would check with Eutectic, they built their reputation on lower temperature processes.
Parent - - By awill4x4 (**) Date 06-30-2007 04:32
If I never have to deal with Eutectic again it will be too soon.
We are in the motorsport industry here in Australia and we sometimes have to weld repair quickchange diff housings for Sprintcars which are of Magnesium construction. We have worked out a pretty good system of repair with quite good weld results. On one job we had an emergency repair which HAD TO HAPPEN then and there, unfortunately we ran out of Mag filler wire and the only place that had what we needed was Eutectic. Now keep in mind we are buying Mag wire in 1/2 kilo lots at a cost of approx $200 Australian, well Eutectic in their wisdom decided a price of $24 per rod !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would boost their coffers somewhat. Well, in short we had to have it and paid their exorbitant pricing for 6 rods but rest assured that no Eutectic products will ever see the inside of our workshop again.
About 8 months after being screwed by Eutectic a couple of their sales reps came to our factory spruiking the company line, they were shown the door in short order with an explanation of our Eutectic experience and instructed to NEVER come back.
Regards Andrew.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-01-2007 02:43
WOW!!! I have been fortunate enough to be able to buy some of their products from the industrial surplus dealer for CHEAP. I have never dealt with the company directly, but a coupple places I worked for had some of their products, I guess they paid through the nose for them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Low-Temp titanium brazing