Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Part B CWI Exam
- - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 06-29-2007 19:18
I am taking part B in August for the second time, the first time I scored a 71% missed it by 1. Where I had trouble was on the inspecting the replica welds. Can anybody please give me some good advice about taking this part of the test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 06-29-2007 19:52
Measure carefully, Calculate correctly, Understand what the questions are asking, Find the correct answer in the Spec.  Thats pretty much it.  Take all the time you need, breathe deep, relax.  OK thats it.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 07-01-2007 03:12
can you do that.....?  re-take just the part you didn't pass.....????????

how does that work.........?
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 07-01-2007 05:09
I got a buddy and we took the test together,  He did not pass part B.    He recently retook part B but when he went to the test facility they told him he had to retake the whole test.  He did so but they only charged him for 1 part like they said they would.   Needs to be ironed out id say!
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 07-02-2007 13:08
From what I understand, if your composite average is above 72% and you failed one section, you only have to take that 1 section over.  If you copmposite average is below 72%, you must re-take all 3 parts.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 07-04-2007 17:59
a welding inspector told me yesterday that there is a 3 day seminar also , then test....   as opposed to the 5 day.....  is that true........?
Parent - By strat (**) Date 07-04-2007 19:23
I think that the three day seminar is mostly on fundamentals ,the last day of the seminar is for the practical and the first day is going over the code book.you can take the one day seminar on the practical or the one day seminar on the code book or the three day seminar on fundamentals.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-04-2007 23:56
One of the hardest things for some folks to do is to put aside their "gut feelings".  Forget the codes or specifications you are familiar with.  You must go with the specification provided.  Read the question carefully. 

Double check any answers that have the same numbers with a different decimal point, sometimes your choices will be .123, 1.23 or 12.3.  If one of the answers is expressed in metrics, do the conversion as the "most correct" answer is what you are after.

You may not need to use every tool in the kit.  When measuring, especially some of the rounded indications, use the scale AND the magnifying glass together.

Some of the poorest questions are the ones with photographs of NDT methods.  Know your NDT basics and study the photographs carefully.

~thirdeye~   
Parent - - By mongoose Date 07-16-2007 02:38
I agree.  The specifications you are given for the exam are not what you are familiar with.  They are specifically geared for the exam.

However, regarding the questions dealing with NDT....  if you are not qualified in a certain method of NDT, challenge those questions citing you are not qualified in MT, PT, etc.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-16-2007 04:08
mongoose,

NDT methods are covered in the study material, so I don't believe there is a basis for a challenge based on the fact that one may not be "qualified" in a particular method. 

My point was that some of the NDT questions require you to look at a photograph before selecting your answer. I felt that some of those photographs could could have been better.  I have heard similar comments from a number of other folks.

~thirdeye~
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Part B CWI Exam