Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Cert. manual. - Wrong answers?
- - By TimmyD (*) Date 06-30-2007 15:34
Hello,
I'm studying for my CWI exam. I'm using the AWS Certification manual for Welding Inspectors, Code No.CM:2000.    My question is that there are a few answers that contradict the text material.  I don't uderstand why this would be.  Example:  Q10-58 Asks which processes use electrode EWTh-1? I believed and it is stated in the text that both PAW and GTAW use tungsted electrodes. The correct answer in the book is (ONLY) GTAW.   I chose both, which was wrong...
There are a few more.  Q10-69: It is written that SAW has the highest rate of deposition. Yet the correct answer is ESW? 
Question Q8-23: asks how many lb/h with a SAW process is 19.7 kg/h?   My math says the answer is
43.4310731 lb/h.  The correct answer in the manual is 43.34lb/h. !!!  Huh?   Am I missing something. Or are these a type of trick questions?
If anyone can help Thank You!
Tim
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-02-2007 03:05
I'm not sure I can answer all your concerns, but here goes nothing;

1) I would agree with you that the ETh-1 can be used with both GTA and PAW. There is always the chance there is a typo in the answer sheets.
2) I would agree that ESW has higher deposition rate than SAW. You might look in the Welding Handbook for more information.
3) Rounding is always a problem. Check the answers provided and round to the same significant figures. Significant figures is a subject that has been included in past training courses and texts. I believe the AWS standard on metric conversions provides information on the decimal places to be used when converting measurements for the welding industry. Once again, the last two digits given in the answer sheet may have been transposed assuming your calculations are correct. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By TimmyD (*) Date 07-13-2007 23:01
Thanks Al!
   You helped me out on the rounding part!    I discovered that the new manual for CWI is edited down.
I got to see the full version, ie.,"Welding Inspection Technology" and there is alot more info and answers to my questions in there! Wow what a differance!
TimmyD
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-14-2007 01:54
Glad to help.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Cert. manual. - Wrong answers?