Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / straight misalignment
- - By fagl Date 07-01-2007 05:19
I did the inspection in a pressure vessel ( radiant coil)  this had internal pipe 4 inch  diameter schedule 160 in a longitud of 60 feet.  I found misalignment lineal (straight)bettwen pipe members. I check the code ASME SECCION 1 PW 31 but this is just for misalignment in the joints longitudianl or circunferencial. (high-low) . Can anyone direct me to a Code, (any Code, any section) which stipulates maximum straight misalignment.

thanks
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-02-2007 15:12
First of all, a coil is not a pressure vessel, although it may be contained in one.
Second, ASME Section 1 applies to power boilers, i.e. boilers in power plants. Is it your case? Back in my days of erector engineer I worked with dozens of coils, but they belonged to oil refineries and petrochemical plants.
Third. I doubt that the Code states a tolerance for angular misalignment. In this case, the equipment manufacturer should have given it. My suggestion is that you consult the equipment manufacturer.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil  
Parent - - By fagl Date 07-02-2007 18:48
your  are right  is  a Power Boiler. thanks for call my attention to this point.

the costumer want use this codes for the fabrication.

ASME 1  for all concern with the vessel
Asme B31 - 1  External pipe
ASME B31 - 3 for Gas piping and otjhers.
so that is the razon that I use ASME 1 to made the inspeccion.

I will be checking  the coustumer specification i refrence with this topic.

fredy
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-03-2007 13:13
I'm quoting verbatim from The M. W. Kellogg Company's specification for furnaces. M.W. Kellogg is a world famous process engineering firm in the petroleum and petrochemical fields. They've built oil refineries and petrochemical plants all over the world.

Paragraph 2.2.1: Steam superheater and boiler coils shall be in accordance with Section 1 of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.

Paragraph 4.1.1: Fabrication, inspection and testing of coils in services covered by paragraph 2.2.1 shall conform to Part PW of Section 1 of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessels Code.

Giovanni S. Crisi 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / straight misalignment