Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what filler to use?
- - By rtnnhazel (*) Date 07-03-2007 04:09
im new to the world of tig. i was wondering if anyone could me find the right filler material. i run an htp 130 dc/hf. great machine by the way. im welding auto body sheetmetal and 1/16 sheet metal. i have heard you can use mig wire as filler, is this true. is there a better filler for my application? thanks for the help.
Parent - By reddoggoose (**) Date 07-03-2007 17:25
Electrode and wires are classified by the AWS. An ER70S-6 wire is the same composition regardless of being spooled on wire hub or in TIG rod cut lengths. The E stands for electrode such as a mig wire, the R stands for rod such as a tig rod, making that wire usable in both processes. The mig wire won't be any better for your application than a cut length, with the exception that you can unwind very small diameters and use them for you filler, helping you use less amperage to melt the wire.
Parent - - By Greg G. (**) Date 07-05-2007 20:13
You can also use ER70S-2 and it will wet out a little easier for you, but both will work ,it is done all the time. As I have 25 years in the precision sheet metal welding industry. I have welded many different things and both will work. If you do not have the option of getting a -2 then use a -6. The number after the - is the chemical make up of the wire. Your supplier can help you pick the right one for the application.
Parent - - By rtnnhazel (*) Date 07-06-2007 01:57
i appreciate all of your help. can enyone explain what "wet" is. thanks
Parent - By reddoggoose (**) Date 07-06-2007 02:29
Wetting is a term used to describe the fusion of weld metal to base metal. The weld should fuse in smoothly and evenly. An example of poor wetting would be undercut, a tall ropey weld, or cold lap.
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 07-06-2007 02:19
Greg G,

I have to both agree and disagree with you. You are right when you say that either wire will work for this situation. However, the ER70S-6 is the more fluid wire. The ER70S-2 is a triple deoxidized wire with a more sluggish puddle, which make this electrode useful for welding out of position. The ER70S-6 is a highly deoxidized wire, containing large amounts of silicon. It is the silicon that increases the puddle fluidity. If you would like more proof visit esab or any filler metal manufacturers website.
Parent - By Greg G. (**) Date 07-09-2007 16:34
Thanks, I have always been instructed that -2 would be easier for someone that is having problems over a -6 because it would flow better.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what filler to use?