Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Welder Job Hunt???
1 2 3 4 Previous Next  
- - By zebwilliams Date 07-05-2007 17:46
Live in Southern Missouri, Looking for rig job in MO, AR, KS, OK four state area.  Does anyone have any information that may be of assistance to me?  10+ years experience in all forms of welding anywhere from Nuclear Power to Pipeline.   Thank you
Parent - - By momonthego (*) Date 07-09-2007 21:04
My husband heard of a job in OK but I will ask him for more information taking place I believe in Oklahoma city!
Parent - - By momonthego (*) Date 07-10-2007 00:16
Company name was Nabors pronounced like neighbors! If that helps let me know.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-11-2007 15:54
DO NOT WORK FOR NABORS IF YOU WANT TO GET PAID THIS YEAR!

I know from experience, and so do all the welders that have worked for them.......
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 07-12-2007 15:24
Amen!!!!!!!! If you cant hold out for a net 180 or more on your invoices dont get yourself into that mess!!!
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-10-2007 23:21
they paid me like clock work. every friday.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-11-2007 00:55
You're so full of it.......Shorthood.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-11-2007 01:48
i have invoices and copys of checks from nabors.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-11-2007 01:56
TO ALL Welders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have learned alot while visiting AWS FORUM

With All Due Respect.
Sourdough has an openion for everything. I often see Sourdough Pissing off other members while coming in here to visit. He wants to argue with everyone in here.

HE wants to argue with me on getting paid from Nabors Drilling. HOW CHILDISH.
I have a bank statement to prove that NABORS paid weekly. i will gladly post it.

Grow up! Sourdough
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 09-11-2007 12:44
For an independant contractor who does not work ONLY for Nabors your check comes in the mail ( generally net 30 to 180 depending on the invoice amount and what they feel like paying). You were employed by Nabors to work in their yard therefore you were a contract EMPLOYEE and you got your check every friday. As for myself and Im sure there are others in the same boat (Sourdough included) they are one of many of different companies we do work for. Im not trying to ruffle feathers nor am I calling anyone a liar. Just making an attempt to clear the the water on the matter. Have a great one fellas!
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-12-2007 02:06
thank you cmays. you do have manners and i really appreciate your kindness.Sourdough is the only one in here that gets under my skin and others as well. thanks alot for you imput.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-12-2007 17:21
SHORTHOOD,

I can tell you don't like me..........let's have a spelling contest - howd that be?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-12-2007 17:34 Edited 09-12-2007 18:35
Sometimes life is a bxxxx.....but what are you gonna do?

Last year Nabors drilling took me for the ride of my life. I worked for them 3 months out of my fiscal year. In that 3 months we did more than 63 grand worth of repairs/modification/mud tanks for them. More times that I can count, my wife handed the phone to me, (I'm dang near deaf), and said go to work - 3am.

NOW, this is what I do......I don't work 9-5 like I want to, I am self employed. When work comes my way I am obligated to "git er done"...........

OKAY, so if I was employed by nabors drilling, (notice the small caps), I would probably get paid every week. NO, I was upside down in my business account for nearly 3 months trying to get paid on a 7 month old invoice for NABORS drilling.

They owed me 63 grand for SEVEN months...........cmon Shorthood, look at the big picture - MONEY,FAMINE,SCORN................
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-12-2007 17:45 Edited 09-12-2007 18:35
Thing about it is- Most people don't understand that their employers do not pay their bills like they should. Who pays their bills every 30 days?

I DO!

How many corporations pay their bills when they decide that they can?

MOST OF THEM!!

NABORS drilling is a huge corporation made up of business men. They do not give a single sxxx for the guys that show up and take care of their rigs. They care about MONEY, and keeping the tree huggers at bay - and thats it!

Please, someone argue this with me...............
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-12-2007 17:57
Sourdough

Everybody is mad at you    :(

>snort<

Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-12-2007 18:06
That's okay. It is my job to make people mad at me on this forum......it is what it is.

What I don't want is for welders on this forum to sacrifice their integrity for ANYONE!!

I want them to represent WELDERS across the nation!!

I have seen so many gentlemen in the last few years make a mockery out of my profession. I would rather stand fast and tell people what I think, instead of letting them have their own opinions on this forum.  - it is what it is.....

If we were to all meet, and have wings and a bloody mary somewhere, I would like to think that you would see me as an equal, and learn from me and vica -verca.......
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-12-2007 19:30
Hey Sourdough, personally I try not to get too riled up by anyone. I believe everyone is entitled to their point of view as everyone's situation is not the same and neither is their perception or understanding of it. More often than not I try to listen to what is being said, consider my thoughts on the matter, try to consider the basis for the train of thought that the other individual has on the matter and then compare the two and decide where I stand. Generally, I find that regardless of the outcome, the end result is an opinion and only an opinion. I will be smarter and better informed as a result of it and possibly have a broader understanding of it and hope the same can be said for the other person. Working situations can be slightly different as they have the potential for impacting the safety and well-being of someone or possibly the financial well-being of an individual. In those cases I certainly understand that individuals will have their own specific beliefs as I do myself. I believe and could be wrong, but the industry that you have been involved in is somewhat of a last frontier type of industry. I don't believe that it follows the rules of most of the jobs and industries that many others are involved in. I also believe that it takes a certain sort of person to be successful in that situation, it is not for everyone. You appear to be suited to it and thrive on it. Whether I agree or disagree with you Sourdough, I'd still sit down for a beer and a B.S. session. You never know someday that might happen. Regards, Allan
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-13-2007 00:20
You know Sourdough...both of us worked for Nabors. I was a third party contractor in the OKC yard. Yes, they paid weekly. IM sorry If i ruffled your feathers. I hate to hear anyone getting strung out for three months. I hope things go better for you.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-13-2007 02:41
SD,
When you start seeing the drillers stringing out the contractors, everybody who was 10-30 days all of a sudden gets 60 to 90 out you better have your sock full. I remember 86/87 You could not buy a job. Is this fixing to happen? dont know. It just gives me the hebbie jebbies when I start seeing this. I tested 6 welders this week who have come back to West Texas. Good hands and they all passed. It was just a simple pipeline 12 butt and branch but testing that many good welders at once in one spot hiring out to a Oil Field contractor was just plain strange.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-14-2007 13:19
I've had problems getting paid since I started up here in the rockies. It must be the area, but it is what it is. At times I've had my entire bank account empty from buying material on big jobs only to realize later that I wouldn't get paid back for a number of months. For a while, I couldn't take on any more big jobs because of it.

I now know why people go postal.

I called every person I could get a hold of to resolve the invoices, to no avail. The furthest I could get was the regional operations manager. For months I got the run around and was scared that I wouldn't get paid at all. They almost broke me, and almost caused me to go through a divorce. They would "lose my paperwork", "lose my invoices", "their network was down, and couldn't check my status", "the check is in the mail". Man, I heard that one weekly.

I'm not sure why the Texas companies that drill up here do it that way, but none of them pay before 30 days, no matter how much you hound them......who knows why?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-14-2007 14:41
Here is a little gem to put on the bottom of the invoices: Discount 1/2% 10 Net 30 Most companies will take the discount. Another thing is to threaten to file a Mechanics lien against the clients property. Drilling Company is working for Gas Company, The lien would be filed against the Gas Company's property. If you check the equipment rental places like Sunbelt, United, this is put in all their contracts. Check with an attorney but get it in all contracts you execute. If not and the driller goes tits up you are stuck. With that in the contract you can make life difficult for the gas company because you tie up their real estate. Now they have more money than you, but it causes legal hassles out the wazzoo for the company. I have a client who was getting shafted by a contractor he was subcontracted to working for a major pipeline company. The guy he was working for told my client to take a hike he was not getting paid. The local pipeline people told him they were only paying once and they had paid the prime and he had to take it up with him. Threats, begging, phone calls, to no avail. Mechanic Lien papers were drawn and the pipeline company met him and his lawyer on the court house steps. Paid him in full and paid his lawyer. Could they have beaten him? Who knows. But when gas and oil companies start getting clouded titles to property, they can play ball.
BABRT's
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-15-2007 02:52
good info...
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-15-2007 14:49
Excellent Advice dbigkahunna!!!

If you're a contractor, subcontractor of whatever type of service you provide, writing into the contract the potential for issuing a mechanic's lean for nonpayment is insurance that more than likely the "expletives" will settle with you rather than fight you in court! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-18-2007 01:49
So if you offer a half percent if they pay within 10 days, that actually works??
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-15-2007 02:24
SD, sometimes the problemis in the fine print. My buddy trims the trees along the phone lines for the local phone company. The contract states that they will pay when the project is completed. This doesn't mean when He is done trimming, it means when the line is in service. If a new cable gets used somewhere else to repair storm damage, the project doesn't get completed for 6 months or more. They wright the check within 10 days of completion, AND TAKE THE DISCOUNT. And it is all legal.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-18-2007 01:58
BUT,  where my invoice is signed it says clearly "All sales final. By signing this statement the company agrees that all work done by Sourdough Welding Inc. has been completed as ordered. Furthermore receipt of this invoice will be paid in no less than 30 days from the invoice dated, otherwise the company will be responsible for 3% interest per month until balance is paid in full."

This has never once deterred these corporate vampires to pay on time............

NEVER!!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-07-2007 03:22
It's getting cold up north us Texas boys cant handle the cold too well at least i cant
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 09-23-2007 19:07
I agree these big corporation like to get the work done on time but when it comes to paying their bills they want to set on their money and drag their feet. I feel like if the man works his butt off to do a good job and get the job done on time. They should have the respect to pay the man on time. We might not have as many bills but we have bills just the same.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-27-2007 17:33
cwf07 - amen.......
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-11-2007 01:49
they paid me great.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-09-2007 12:45
i just left nabors and was a great place to work. beware of NORMAN. he is the rod boss and is a real di#$^$^$^$&*((&^%&%
money was great . 12 days on and 2 days off.
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 10-31-2007 00:14
i heard from a guy named tony they are down to 25 welders in the yard now(nabors)
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-31-2007 23:05
tony todd from dennison told me the same thing..25 welders. i got his son on here in enid welding bridges.50 per hour.
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 11-01-2007 01:26
that is exactly who i was talking about. little tony was down here in denison practicing his branches. said he was going to go do the bridge thing. he is the one that told me alot of the guys were having problems with the 300 s  said the yard up there was down to 25 rigs.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 11-02-2007 00:33
tony is here in enid working
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 11-02-2007 12:11
he told us he was going to finish up the week and then head down to do bridges. oh wait you mean big tony?
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 11-03-2007 21:48
i got Little tony(jr) the job on the bridges. tony sr. is not working right now...deer huntin for a few wks.
Parent - By mody454 (**) Date 11-03-2007 23:19
little tony said his dad had to go back to work to finish paying for all his toys
Parent - - By Sparkee (*) Date 07-10-2007 03:05
I dont know how far you want to travel, but you might check with Bronco Drilling. I believe that they have a yard in or around Duncan, Oklahoma, where they are doing refurbs on derricks and new construction on subs and pits. I believe that have around 50-60 rigs running in Oklahoma and Texas, with the majority in Oklahoma.
   Hope this helps,
          Sparkee
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-10-2007 06:01 Edited 07-13-2007 09:12
I will try to come back with some company names.....but a lot of natural gas wells are going up around North East Arkansas....like weeds.  They found some kind of giant shale bed up here and they are drilling everywhere....and if course they need welders to keep it all moving.  Most of the companies I believe are based out of Texas....I will try to get you more info as soon as I can.

Ok the two major players are these: 

Southwestern Energy out of Houston
http://www.swn.com/index.asp
cheasepeke energy out of OK
http://www.chkenergy.com/

I am guessing a fellow could contact these folks to get a line on the drilling contractors they are using in this area.  Basically all over there Northern 1/3 of Arkansas.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-11-2007 15:57
Anadarko, Encana, Williams, Questar, Patterson UTI, Greywolf, Cyclone, True Companies, Unit Drilling, and Cheyenne are good to work for.

Most of them are 30 days on the nose.....
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 08-28-2007 00:17
Are any of these outfits around the Rifle area besides Encana and Williams?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-01-2007 02:05
Oxy, bill barrett, samson, antero, questar, double eagle, exxon, etc...........
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-11-2007 15:54
Bronco Drilling - 90 days pay out.......
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-12-2007 03:35
I got a question(s) on this type of work in general.....is comparable to say portable Heavy Equipment repair work...done a lot of that in my younger days  gouging and welding cracks on abused way over stressed stuff...cutting off bogus repair jobs, bucket teeth ect.  

Thing is all these drilling rigs going up makes me wonder if I should take out a loan and set up a rig and try my hand.....there running them day and night...since I work nights I might be able to snag the wee hours of the morning with some of these companies...by everything I have heard they are keeping a few around here pretty busy and they will be at this for quite a long time.  Might snag enough work to pay for that rig in short order.  I plan to contact a few of the companies running up here and see how fixed they are for welders. 
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-12-2007 16:52
It's definately not rocket science, well.....none of it is. The most challenging thing is being available 24/7. Everyone says, "well geez, for that kinda money I would do it"!

BUT!!    - do it for years, then see how you like it.........
Parent - By Wes531 (*) Date 07-18-2007 14:45
Do yall know of anyone hiring now for rig welders?  I have my own rig and truck and I am willing to travel.  I am not experienced in pipe line welding though.
Parent - - By ctdconstruction (*) Date 07-23-2007 13:00
Anyone know anything about the yard of pipe sitting outside of Orange, Texas.  I know its marked Willbros - RPI - but was wondering if anyone knows were I might find someone that can tell me who's hiring the rig welders?  Would be nice to head toward home for a job. 
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-23-2007 20:19
are you good?
Parent - - By jerry798 (*) Date 07-23-2007 21:15
mr sully do you know someone named clay king
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Welder Job Hunt???
1 2 3 4 Previous Next