Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / OZONE?? How does this effect the human body?
- - By Kix (****) Date 07-09-2007 13:57
   I hope this is the right place to post this.  I've been hearing more and more about how bad OZ is and was just wondering what kind of effects it has on your body.  I've got hours upon hours of hood time with Tig welding and i allways wondered why my chest felt weird sometimes and what that funny smell was.  I thought it might have been argon exposure at times, but i'm thinking that maybe it was the effects of the ozone.  I would get this weird feeling in my chest at times kind of like something i used to get when i swam in water for a long time.  And if this was OZONE exposure and i've had a bunch what kind of long term effects could this have on me? 

Thanks, Kix
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-09-2007 16:52
I think it is very good at removing moisture from you nasall passages. I get pretty dried out after tig welding in a confined space. Of course I think there are some positive effects according to this article.

http://www.eezee.com/readings/13%20major%20effects%20of%20ozone%20on%20the%20body.htm

There is an page on OSHA's site that may shed some light on it for you. http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/weldhlth.html
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-09-2007 18:49
Well, that explains the weird feeling in my chest after tig welding for awhile.  So what is the difference between thw ozone that they're treating illnesses with and the welding ozone that is potentialy harmful?  I wonder if i was experienceing pulmonary edema when i had the bad chest feeling. 
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 07-09-2007 21:19
Hey Kix,

I have found some other interesting information:

http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/band_13/faq_ozone.html

and

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/fod/oc/600-699/668_17.pdf

As far as I know is the difference between the ozone-treatment in case of using it as a remedy the purity of the substance itself.

When a doctor is using ozone he/she is using a high purity "medical ozone" which is a mixture of 0.05% ... 5% pure Ozone (O3) and pure Oxygen (O2) as a balance.

The doctor is taking an accurate and specific amount of blood which is being augmented with the ozone/oxygen mixture and re-injected into the patients vein.

Ozone being created through a high energetic radiation - just like ultraviolet arc-radiation - is - from my layman's point of view - a kind of a radical substance and thus affecting harmful the welder's body.

I have often experienced higher ozone-concentrations when Single-Wire or Tandem-MIG-Welding Aluminum-Alloys, using high welding-performances and Silicon containing Al-fillers. After welding the whole day long I had often problems by having a dry cough. Really unpleasing. I have always tried to improve the situation by drinking enough water and thus to keep the respiratory tracts permanently moistened.

Regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-10-2007 03:29
Thanks for the links Stephan, I guess I need to provide better ventilation, because I too have felt the tightness in My chest after MIG welding aluminum.  I usually use 4043 and work indoors when possible, I guess that is asking for troubble.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-10-2007 07:12
Great links!!

I guess I should use that air vac more often Geez.  Anybody else experienced nosebleeds welding stainless in confined spaces??  I remember getting them a lot when I had to stack heaters in a pill...them little air horns never really were enough to get the fumes out.  Never got chest pains before tho.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 07-11-2007 11:35
Hey Dave,

Yes, I guess you would better do so.

By the way - 4043 was the filler-alloy I have used alike.

Anyway, what Kix has "scratched on" is - from my point of view - a serious topic and a very good post.

Welding can "create pleasure" - by all means - but one should not forget that we have to do with metallic fumes, substances, particles and superfine particles which can - in worst case - damage health.

I have followed an interesting discussion exactly one week ago on a joint-workshop of IIW Commissions II (Arc Welding and Filler Metals) and VIII (Health and Safety). There David Jordan - the speaker - coming from the UK's Nickel Institute and certainly an outstanding expert in the field of health and safety in welding, spoke about the:

"Conformity To Exposure Limits For Welding Fumes"

A truly great presentation and very detailed in regard to the existing national and international specifications, standards and threshold values for different hazardous substances in arc-welding. The United States OSHA Standards for hexavalent Chromium were also been discussed as the threshold values for Nickel and others.

I attended this discussion togehther with a greatly appreciated colleague of mine, being an expert in the area of EMF (Electromagnetic Field)-Research. This can be - as you surely can imagine - a tough, i.e. extremely intricate, topic in arc- and resistance-welding, and currently there are also efforts accomplished to international standardize the thresholds for the height of eventually existing EMF influences.

But we agreed both, to comprehend and correctly interpret the hazardous substances being generated by the arc is surely similar to the complexity of comprehending the influence of EMF in arc- and resistance welding. This is, what makes their maximum-value-standardization so difficult and thus to achieve a kind of "generalization" for all substances-risks, at least as far as the experts stated.

My personal quintessence from this mentioned discussion was at that time: Use your personal protective equipment as far as this may be possible and prove thus your very own responsibility against your own human body and health and don't wait until the national institutions and responsible experts will find a way to reduce these important issues to a common denominator.

One of the experts has broken it down to one sentence and I hope to remember well when trying to subsequently quote him correctly:

"The best measuring-method, the lowest threshold value and the most honourable intention to protect the welders health means nothing, when the welder himself does not use his personal protection equipment which is one of the crucial factors in health and safety in welding."

So far my humble input.

My best regards to you and all the other appreciated colleagues,
Stephan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-12-2007 04:38
I am sure My problem is not one of the shop filling with ozone, just one of My head often being practically right over the work. I think a homemade rig to blow air from My back into the hood would work, and keep My glasses and the lens from fogging.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / OZONE?? How does this effect the human body?