Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / brain throb
- - By BMason (*) Date 07-09-2007 20:57
i will be taking the cwi seminar and exam this fall. i am wondering if any of you guys have any tips on what to study. i currently have most of the books from the "body of Knowledge" included with the cwi app. there is so much info contained in those books that i am concerned that i will put to much emphasis on the wrong stuff and not enough on what i really need to know for the test. i have been a welder for the last 14 years. 4 months ago i was promoted to qa manager. studying for the cwi exam and all the other stuff i have to learn for my job is making my brain throb. if any one can help me it would be greatly appreciated...

thanks,
         brian mason
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-09-2007 21:08
You'll need to know all the information in the study guides.

Most people with a good experience in welding will need to put effort into the mechanical testing of welds, discontinuities, and NDT. Don't overlook welding safety.

Your experience reading drawings will prove to be useful in reading welding symbols and understanding the welding processes you are already familar with. Spend some time learning more about those processes you are not familar with.

Pick a welding code you are familar with for the open book examintion. If you use AWS D1.1 or D1.5 everyday, why not study it for the exmination. Likewise, if you use API 1104, then by all means, use it for your open book examination.

Good luck - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / brain throb