Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pipe Line
- - By khodabandeh (**) Date 07-10-2007 09:49
When we want to place the pipe into the trench in the pipe line project ,please inform me how much must be empty under the pipe?Also how much must be have distance between trench wall and pipe body?So,the pipe in which elevation must be place in the trench?Does it exist any standard about above mention?
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 07-11-2007 02:16
It should be specified it the contract specification documents or on the detail sheets on the blueprints. More info would be needed to help you. What type of pipe is it? insulation? product in pipe? code you are working to?  soil type (rock, clay, sand etc.,)

Most jobs I do it is minimum one foot from edge of pipe insulation to edge of trench wall and minimum six inches between the pipes and two feet from finished grade to the top of pipe insulation for freeze line purposes. This is chill water and hot water pipe specs for Army Corp of Engineer jobs.

Your specs may vary drastically but you must be working to a code and specifications. Please refer to them to insure that you are in complience. Very costly to dig up and rebury at deeper elevation. Hope this helps some.
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 07-11-2007 13:19
Dear Tim,
The useful code for welding is API 1104,and other requirement also support by API code,but I don,t know in which section of API code I can find information about above mention.So the material of pipe is Carbon Steel with 24 inch size and sch80. Also the service of pipe is sour high pressure gas.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 07-11-2007 14:50
Is it going to get buried?
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-11-2007 19:36
If this is cross country and is in the United States, 49 CFR part 192 regulates gas. Part 195 regulates liquids ASME B31.4 will be the code referenced and API 1104 will be the welding code. If this is out of the United States, other regulations govern. If this is in plant work, B31.4 can give some good guidelines. The elevation above the trench bottom is for installing padding fill under the pipe. This can be graded sand, clean soil, or processed backfill material using a padding machine like an Ozzy Padder.
BABRT's
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pipe Line