Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / pre-qualified WPS fillet weld
- - By Phalen (*) Date 07-10-2007 18:37
I can't seem to find the pre-qualified WPS for fillet welds.  I found something on 3.9, but that was nothing much.  I found in Table 4.4 the test to qualify a fillet weld, but where is the pre-qualified WPS for a typ. lap joint fillet weld?  Thanks if anyone can help.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-10-2007 20:15
All of the information you will need for a prequalified fillet weld in AWS D1.1 chapter 3. Try verbage not tables of figures.
Parent - - By Phalen (*) Date 07-11-2007 18:53
I did read chapter 3 thats how I got the sec I refrenced.  I still don't see a pre-qualified WPS for a fillet weld.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-11-2007 19:00
There isn't one written for you, you have to write it and follow all of the essential variables listed to remain prequalified.
Parent - By Phalen (*) Date 07-11-2007 22:01
Thanks I will go over that.  I do wounder though why there is in chapter 4, test required for qualifiing WPSs.  Is it just for when you go out of the peramiters?
Parent - - By Greg G. (**) Date 07-11-2007 21:51
Call the place that test your welders. Tell them what you want to accomplish and what code it goes through and he or she may be able to write one for you. I have done it and it saves you lots of time and headache, because he probably writes them every day. Then you can qualify the WPS and get a welder qualified at the same time. At least that is the way I have gotten it done before.  It's not cheating, its just getting the job done.
Parent - - By Phalen (*) Date 07-11-2007 22:06
There was a welder going to weld on my job and he had no WPS so I was going to find him a Approved one and could not find one or help him write one.  I have been overlooking it for a while and did not know it.  I just making a ass out of u and me  and thought there was a pre-qualified WPS for fillet welds.  Thanks
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 07-12-2007 16:47 Edited 07-12-2007 17:02
AWS sells SWPS packages as well but, writing your own is fairly simple. Everything you need is in section 3 and the filler metal manufacturer's recommendations.

There's an example of a Prequalified WPS on Page 339 in Annex N of AWS D1.1:2006 and a blank sample form on the preceding page to get you started. You can usually download the filler metal manufacturer's recommendations from their website. Have your welders run a qualification test (see section 4) and then I usually further restrict the WPS based on what the welders actually qualified for (in terms of position, thickness, etc.) before it becomes a production procedure.
Parent - - By Phalen (*) Date 07-12-2007 21:56
Thank you for the info, but could I do that without having the welder qualify.  I thought there would be a pre-qualified WPS for a fillet weld?
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-04-2007 12:15
My $.02...

I have a customer who requires us to qualify our WPSs; that is to say, each WPS we use in production for that customer must be qualified.  It's the most fun I have had in my job (as QA manager I don't often get to go play on the floor), planning, writing PQRs, witnessing the performance of the PQRs and seeing the results come back.  Prior to my arrival here in April, all the welding was being performed with hastily conceived procedures, some of which had way too much information and many with too little.   After a lot of reading (I am former Navy and the differences between Milspecs and AWS specs are many) I was able to arrive at the conclusion that any company that makes its bread by welding in more than one or two processes should go ahead and qualify their own WPSs.  It will pay for itself with knowledge, as well as the confidence you will have in your processes.
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 08-08-2007 22:35
I was able to arrive at the conclusion that any company that makes its bread by welding in more than one or two processes should go ahead and qualify their own WPSs.  It will pay for itself with knowledge, as well as the confidence you will have in your processes.

Amen - 100% agreed
Parent - - By hamilton (*) Date 08-17-2007 19:00
FYI, www.WPSAmerica.com has many information, data and sample WPS about prequalified WPS for D1.1, D1.3, D1.6  (about 10,000 prequalified WPS for Fillet, CJP, PJP).

Please check it out.

Hamilton
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 08-22-2007 00:21
That site looks like a nice one, but are none of you reading the book any more? With a little digging, you can find what your looking for. Don't be so quick to go after the easy answer, you'll never learn anything!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / pre-qualified WPS fillet weld