Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / STT welding
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-10-2007 19:57
I have done some reading on this type of welding and wondering if you need special wire and gas to weld this STT welding if so what is it. From the pictures that I have seen it does a great job. Need more info.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 07-10-2007 20:34
It is still Short Circuit Transfer, so the same rules apply for the most part. Don't limit your research to the STT process. The RMD by Miller is virtually the same technology. Special gas and wire is a no, however, some of the publications you may read will suggest that you can save on expenses using 100% CO2 and achieve Argon like performance with regards to spatter issues, assuming you're referring to STT as in Surface Tension Transfer a trademark by Lincoln.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-10-2007 23:20 Edited 07-10-2007 23:46
Thanks for the info. jarsanb could you tell me about how long this has been around. What does RMB stand for another new one on me. I just looked it up Regulated Metal Deposition.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 07-11-2007 12:55
Fairly recent. I believe the first unit of just the STT by lincoln was around '99 or 2000 . The company I worked for was given a unit for automation as a demo and it stayed. It was one of the first units available I'm pretty sure. That led to the purchase of some powerwave/STT units. I worked with these for about two years. About two years later Miller came out with the RMD version of this technology in the Axcess units. The company I'm at now uses these machines in the form of the Pipepro 450. If these years are incorrect, they wouldn't be off by much but you get the point. Pretty new stuff.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-11-2007 12:58
From the pictures I've seen it does a good job. Thanks
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-11-2007 18:43
Before spending that kind of money I would suggest being sure you need that technology. Its a great technology but has limited application benefit IMO.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-11-2007 19:52
Just learning something new that I havn't heard of.
          Thanks
Parent - - By cnd_weldeng Date 07-13-2007 16:49
In my experience in a fast pased, extremely thin gauge automotive environment, I have never seen STT function like its supposed to. We spent 2 days try to get it to weld filler metal tubes (circular welds 2" dia pipe, wall thickness .75mm) and was unable to get successful and repeatable results.  We switch to the Fornius CMT and where welding consistantly in 1hr. Just some food for thought...
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-13-2007 17:30
Any ideas as to the difficulty with STT?
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-13-2007 19:55
Know not really, but wouldn't it be like a plane 300 miller mig or is it more difficult.
Parent - - By JM_VRCIC (*) Date 02-10-2010 12:50
Hi, are you saying STT process is like GMAW-S? Is STT transfer mode according to ASME IX?
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-10-2010 23:40
Hi all,
First used Lincoln STT in New Zealand in the late '90s for light, medium and heavy wall carbon and chromolly piping.
Absolutely brilliant machine when set up properly.
Root with STT and Fill & Cap with SAW using pipe rotators.
The great thing about the STT (apart from the speed) is that a uniform fit-up is not required. If it is GTAW you need a consistent root gap all the way around the pipe but STT is different.
The gap could be 0 - 4 mm (we considered 4 mm to be maximum gap) and we would have 3 large tacks (bridge or root tacks, it didn't matter).
Weld between 2 & 3 o'clock from one tack and stop just short of the next (unless it is a feathered root tack)
Take a 7" or 9" grinder with a cutting disc (we called them pipeliners, about 3.2 mm thick) and cut through the prep in places where the root gap is less than 3.2 mm.
The beauty of the STT is there is no need to remove the "swarf" that has been pushed into the pipe by the cutting disc. The weld burns away the swarf and you end up with a GTAW like root run at about 5 x the speed.
Have also used for vertical down on 6 mm square butt groove welds for thin walled tanks.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-11-2010 00:03
Thanks Shane..  I learned a new word

swarf

:)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 12:36
Me too....I had to look it up.

swarf: "material removed by cutting or grinding tools in the machining of metals, stone, etc."
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-11-2010 14:36
But, but,  but,  I don't find it in my AWS A 3.0!!!  LOL!!

Time to recommend another new addition to the revisions guys.

Thanks for introducing that word to us Shane. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Flash Date 04-03-2010 04:57
must be a southern Hemisphere word
The Fed express comes good again
I knew what you were on about
;o)
R
Flash
Parent - - By JM_VRCIC (*) Date 02-11-2010 15:50
Many thanks Shane.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 17:28
If I may be a voice of disagreement here. Having welded with STT/RMD technologies (I forget what Fronius' version is called), since its inception it is my belief that welding roll outs on low alloys, and probably even higher alloys like stainless steel is a waste of time and money. This was not what it was designed for and this is not where it really shines, though Linclon aggressively marketed it as such.
Where it does shine is in position work on higher alloys and it also makes easier a spatter free interior for pipe, though a well adjusted CV machine can weld spatter free SC roots. 
The arc is essentially cut off at a certain point allowing fast freeze capability, while the plasma boost is the thing that saves it as opposed to the fusion problems associated with standard spray pulse type applications, though industry info notwithstanding my experience has been that fusion problems are greater than with standard CV, because it is after all a form of pulsing. A pulsing imposed within a short circuit, but a pulsing nonetheless. In side by side comparisons of standard CV and wave from machines root passes are much more readily identifiable as having achieved fusion and penetration than the pulsing SC machines, and at much less the cost.
In comparisons with GTAW the big advantage to GTAW is if you can trust your tacker and he gives you full pen tacks you can consume right through your tacks with GTAW and never stop on roll out welds. It doesn't matter what you do with GMAW you have to stop. We did this very thing for years in a fab shop I worked in and maintained less than 1% reject rates. If a tacker misses an edge or has lack of fusion you can catch it. If there is porosity it will let you know as soon as the gas expands. And you can't even see where the tacks were. The one disadvantage is your tacks have to be GTAW of course.
When it gets right down to it the controlled wave form SC machines have a distinctive advantage but in limited applications.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-12-2010 13:37
I'm hoping to revivie this old topic and receive any input / advice about RMD technology and how it may or may not be beneficial to sheet welding applications, in thicknesses from 16 gauge and up, only on carbon steel. My basic understanding is that this tech was mainly developed to make open root welds in pipe joints. My application is mostly fillet and flare bevel groove welds on sheet. I need to make a case, either pro or con, whether or not the cost of upgrading to this tech would be beneficial to hundreds of Miller Axcess and 60M machines.
Please feel free to offer any opinions.

Thanks,
Tim Gary
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 07-12-2010 14:57
I think it would be a good idea to contact your local rep and see if you can get a machine to demo on your application.  As an engineer, I would not be comfortable changing my shop's equipment without running the equipment and seeing how they perform for my application.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-12-2010 19:17
Thanks for the reply Mike.
What you suggested is in the works.
I hope to have it set up by the end of this week.

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / STT welding