Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Murphys law of economics
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-12-2007 02:43
*&^#&^%@&^@/!!!

Made about $700 xtra on last paycheck so I am thinking cool "catch up the credit cards a bit, few little materials for a home project ect."    Buuuutttt NOOooOOoOOOOooo!!!  In the span of four days starter on car shorted to constantly on (have not found problem yet but spent $45 on special tools just to get at the problem!), Caliper on suburban decided it wants to lock up and not retract....had to drive about 50 miles with it smoking hot, last night my Central A/C decided the compressor does not need to run anymore!

Thank God that he is kind enough to make sure I got some O.T. just in time for all these xtra expenses I just inherited.  If they start talking Sat+Sun at work I guess I better up my insurance because the house will probably burn down LOL!
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 07-12-2007 03:00
Aint it funny how that works?
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 07-13-2007 00:01
I can understand your frustrations, but all of these things are material things. Get on your knees and thank God for your health. That is something I took for granted until recently.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-13-2007 05:03
You said it Chuck, health doesn't even cross ones mind untill it becomes BAD health. Cancer sure does change Your life once You have it.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-15-2007 00:01
People ask me how I can be so up beat most of the time. I have a great brother in law. Five years ago he was diagnosed with colon cancer. On part of his treatment was removing his colon. BTY due to his macho BS he had not gotten a colonoscpy(?)  because he wasn't about to have anything stuck up his *$$. Well he no longer has that worry.  Its sewed shut. He is happy to be alive and able to enjoy his grandchildren and he and his wife have a good marriage.  But he has told me some of the things they have to do and also how it has really messed up his golf game. So any day the highlight is finding a clean colostomy bag is a good day. And any day I can feed myself and make a pot of coffee, it is the same. We sometimes get so worked up over making and spending we forget to appreciate the ones we work for and thank the ones who overlook our failings.
BABRT's
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-15-2007 06:35
I only lost a foot of My colon, fortunatly they were able to save the sphinctor [yes it was that close] I had a bag for 7 months while things healed. The ONLY good thing about a bag is You don't have to sit down in a Job Johny to take a dump, standing works OK. I am happy to have a functional bottom even if it is sore from Chemo side effects. Better to be alive than not, hands down in my opinion.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-15-2007 06:57 Edited 07-15-2007 07:06
Hi Dave!!!
Man that must've been an experience and a half!!!
What you described kind of reminds me of something similar I went through as a result of my liver transplant... Standard procedure for all Post liver transplant recipients is to have a "T" tube inserted through  one's abdomen that attaches to one's bile vessel's that leads to the bile duct... The "T" tube empties out fresh bile which looks like motor oil into a bag that's attached to the outside of one's abdomen from the exterior... In other words, it's strapped to one's chest.

The main reason for this is to record the liver's bile output and determine if indeed the new liver is producing sufficient amounts of bile on a daily basis so, when one empties the full bag in the morning, the amount thats' in the bag is measured and recorded on  daily basis. I had to wear that bag 24/7 for six months straight!!! That was scary because mostly I was afraid of leaking most of the bile all over my bed when I was asleep!!!

But besides that, it was'nt as lousy as what you probably went through!!!
In any event I sure can relate to what you're saying!!! :) Keep up the good fight just like I will also in fighting my hodgkins lymphoma which is now in remission thanks to our lord savior JC!!! ;) ;) ;) With a little help from the "Chemo" also!!! :)
Keep up the good fight also there - Chuck - my friend!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-16-2007 03:05
Yes, having a bag of goo open up during the night was a concern of mine too, fortunatly I never had a major leak. The advances in medicine over the last 100 years are amazing when You think about it, but there is still plenty of improvement needed. In the meantime We all need to keep to Our treatment regimins and never loose hope.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-16-2007 03:39
I guess I should post My GET CHECKED rant here now: Normally the Doctors suggest getting a colonoscopy at age 50 or sooner if there is a family history of colo-rectal cancer or polyps, but many like Kahuna's brother in law put it off because "I am not having any problems". Colon cancer usually develops from polyps after they have been there at least a few years, and according to one of My Doctors 50% of people 50 years old have polyps regardless of family history. Now not all polyps will turn into cancer, but they are easily removed [usually] by a tool on the endoscope and are no longer a potential risk. I was diagnosed with metasticised colo-rectal cancer at age 44. My family history of colon cancer starts with Me. A year later an older cousin also had colon cancer, after talking it over with another cousin on that side of the family We found out He had a [not yet cancerous] polyp removed at about 50 years old that was detected when He was having hemroid surgery. THE POINT BEING 50 YEARS OLD ISN'T ALWAYS EARLY ENOUGH, AND IT IS A FOOLHARDY RISK TO WAIT UNTILL YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS. I have been treating My cancer for over 3 years now. Had I acted sooner and gotten the colon resection before the cancer metastisized I would probably have been cured a coupple years ago. As it is I am on chemo for 3 months then get a 3-4 month break. As long as the tumors continue to respond as they have in the past I can nearly hold My own, but they are growing slowly in spite of treatment. For any of You Americans who think You cant afford health insurance, all I can say is You need to re asses Your priorities. GET THE COLONOSCOPY, NOT THE CANCER.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 04:35 Edited 07-16-2007 04:37
Well Said Dave!!!

Let me just echo Dave's last statement by adding that if you do not yet have insurance or do'nt think that you have enough... Please for the love of god, Do'nt worry about that, and do'nt let that stop you from getting checked or getting treatment!!! The financial aspect of it will work itself out one way or another!!!
Just do'nt delay getting checked out or treated regardless of whether you can pay for it or not!!!
Excellent point Dave :)

P.S. I hope things are smoothing out for you there Tommyjoking :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-17-2007 05:11
Yes, Henery, that is a good point about not putting off  testing or treatment. I might have acted on My issues sooner if I would have known that My insurance coverage worked as well as it fortunatly has, but really I hadn't suspected My problen was cancer, OR ANY TIME SENSITIVE ISSUE. The law in the US says You can not be denied treatment due to inability to pay, and even if You send 10 bucks a month, You are working on it and won't be prosecuted.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-13-2007 08:54
How are you doing btw Chuck?  Everything is still working out in the right direction I hope. 

I was just kidding about it all ...just making a joke at lifes little ironies...and giving God the credit for intervention in everyday little struggles  Besides God knows what we need better and long before we do...that O.T. really was just in time to help make these problems easier.  I remember when I was struggling with my own business it seems that the jobs would always come in at the wire when we needed them the very most.  I at least most of the time try to count on the Good Lords hand on the things I have the least control over and I am always amazed with the results....I need to keep him in the drivers seat more often and quit fighting for the wheel so much if you know what I mean.  I have been blessed in so many ways and I deserve not one of them.

take care

Tommy
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 07-13-2007 00:36
Just about makes you not want to get overtime doesn't it......lol
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-19-2007 01:53
Sounds like the UNluck of the Irish, something I am afflicted with this year.............
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-05-2007 06:14
Well this thread has had some interesting turns in conversation....

Just a postscript:  After 3+ weeks of 88-95+ temps with humidity ranging from 85% to 100%   And much debate over contractors and what we could afford...I figured out I could not afford anything really.  But I did get fortunate and find a used condensor (old 93) for $300 with the claim of good shape and working condition.  60 miles from home and having forgot my meter to test the windings...I bought it   on nothing more than a prayer that it would fit the need.....I tested the windings next day all good....called the first HVACR guy that could get out here and Bless them for sucking her down and pumping in 7.5 pounds of R22 for 200 bux as well as sweating the lines in, wiring and giving me a freebie dryer filter.   (I would have charged more for sure).  She fired right up and I slept GOOD for the first time in weeks.  My house is a comfortable 77f.  All in all that was the eaisist $500 bux I spent in a while.  Some other things come thru financially and it looks like my credit cards will be balance zero in the next month.....we plan to install an entirely new system (high grade) starting with a new furnace and evap coil when it turns cool...I should be able to easily handle the cost of a premium matching condensor come spring.  I will do all the install myself (at least I will know what I got).  Wait on the Lord and he will provide the right answers is all I can say.   Some developments at work may provide the opportunity for me to get on a decent shift as well....wow I might be able to coach baseball again.  All the developments so far are getting me a LOT closer to hitting up my bank to finance some equipment and get my girls started in some welding and taking advantage of all the gas wells going in round here.  

So to Henry as well as the rest of you....it all works out in the end if you got your mouth set right!   LOL  I am happy bout it all guys.

Sincerly
Tommy
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Murphys law of economics