Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Anybody see where I laid my 5/16 fillet weld gage?
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-12-2007 13:39
I was carrying it around this morning when I was asking the drawingroom for answers to questions we had on the drawings and now I can't figure out where I laid it down......been one of those crazy mornings, so it could be almost anywhere...ughhh!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-12-2007 13:52
Sorry John, I found it and cut it down so I could measure in some tight quarters.  ;-)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-12-2007 14:12
Well OK, but what did you do with the 7/16" end? I need that too on the base plates of these same columns.
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 07-12-2007 14:04
Actually  John it did not seem to be measuring right so I sent it to clean up to have them regrind the point so it will measure what the weld actually is!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-12-2007 14:18
Good job!!!  No more rejects!  Yea!!!!!
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-12-2007 16:25
Are you sure you were in the drawing room? You couldn't possibly have any questions on drawings, now could you?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-15-2007 12:34
Actually John, these guys are just covering up.  I found it lying around, picked it up.  Later on I took my boots off and saw that I needed to trim my toe nails.  In doing that I noticed some toe jam that needed cleaning out...and well... long story short...I didn't think you would want it back (that single arc segment makes a good scraper).  Your fillet gauge is now in a hazardous waste container buried under Yucca mountain.  I understand there is a 50,000 year half life on that.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-15-2007 13:46
come on Chet, I read an article in the Inspection trends magazine listing you as the forum's answer guy-this is not what i was expecting from someone of your caliber :)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 00:14
Hey Chet!!!

I personally thought that it was a very humerous answer especially coming from you ;)
Now I do'nt know how JW (John Wright) reacted because I did'nt ask him but, as long as I've been on this forum and from what I've read when you both collaborated... You two have been the best of friends and I know John a little, which would lead me to think that when or if he reads this, John would definitely be ROTFLHAO!!! ;)

It's really refreshing to read your humorous side... Keep -em coming Chet :) :) :)

Respectfully with a capital "R"
Henry
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-18-2007 16:38
I'm glad you enjoyed it Henry.  I was concerned that I might ruin someone's breakfast.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 13:11
Visions of hazardous waste dancing in my head.....that's OK Chet, you can keep em' now, I don't need them nearly as bad now as I did the other day....LOL
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 13:15
BTW, I found the one that I lost out of that set...it was right where I left it. When the guys turned the column over to repair a spot that I marked up, it fell out onto the floor along with all of the chipped slag.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-16-2007 17:00
It's common knowledge that toe jam has an adverse effect on fillet weld gages.  I pick my nose with my 5/16 fillet gage, but that's where I draw the line.  I'm guessing that Chet's condition has probably progressed to fourth stage toe jam, which requires that the gage be soaked in a solution of equal parts of Clorox, Lysol, and WD40 for a minimum of 12 hours, re-calibrated and returned to service.   
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-18-2007 09:57
I suspect that's why most of them are made of stainless steel.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-18-2007 11:23
Why is that you always find them in the last place you look?....;)

See, if I could have looked in the last place first, I wouldn't have wasted so much time looking in all those other places.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-18-2007 16:26
John,

Of course you always find things in the last place you look.  Why would you keep on looking for them once you've found them?
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-18-2007 16:34
"Last place you look" means of course that once it's found you don't need to look any longer.  Kinda reminds me of how I deer hunt - hunting is good everywhere I go, it's the finding that presents the problem.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Anybody see where I laid my 5/16 fillet weld gage?