Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Thanks To A QA Manager
- - By strat (**) Date 07-13-2007 02:34
I started welding about 23 years ago,started as a welders helper and went from there.Most of my years in welding or at least 20 of them was welding pipe (code jobs ) and tubing,service work,HRSG's reheaters, supeerheaters,econimizers and so on.I was working for a company that we were doing a lot of ASME work and i got to know the QA manager fairly well , as a person you couldn't bet em.As all those years of welding I always had respect for inspecters.This QA manager ask me if I would like to get into inspection and I took him up on it. This man taught me every thing he new about the buiseness(well most everything) sent me to a three day seminar on writing WPS's,PQR's,and WPQ's,gatherd up about every book he could get to study for the CWI test and most of all had faith in me.A month ago I got my CWI and im proud of it.I no longer work with this QA Manager but want to give THANKS to him for all of his support.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-15-2007 17:33
I think it would be gracious if you mentioned his name for additional recognition!
Parent - By strat (**) Date 07-15-2007 21:43
Bruce Chandler with Crowder Construction
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-15-2007 23:44
A gentleman named George Bruce, from the Pittsburg PA area, got me interested in inspection 28 years ago. I still remember him telling me (after I said "I want to do what you do"), "You're a very good welder...but, you have so much to learn....don't EVER stop learning about welding or inspection".  I haven't stopped learning about either, since that day in 1979, and I never will. I use his quote on a daily basis when teaching! My only regret is that I didn't maintain contact with him after our professional relationship ended. I thank him and my welding instructor, Bill Mehelc, for where I am now. Unfortunately, these professionals and mentors are no longer with us.
Parent - - By welderwv (*) Date 07-16-2007 00:18
My QA manager was also the professor for the welding program at a Technical University.  He always pushed me to be better, to learn more.  Fortunely I took him up on it.  Now 14 years later I am a professor at a Techncial College and I hope to inspire at least one student the way this man inspired me. 
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 07-16-2007 01:31
Thanks guys for the replys,fbrieden i am sorry to read of the two gentlemen that you spoke of that has left this world.You are so very right in saying never stop learning,i strived very hard in my welding to be the best that i could and take pride in my work and learn.And i know there is a lot that i dont know in inspecting,but i do learn something most every day.I still talk to Mr.Chandler from time to time and you know he will ask me what i have learned and tell me never stop learning and as welderwv said i also would like to inspire just one person the way he did i
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-16-2007 19:56
Thanks for the response! Is your handle "strat" as in Stratocaster?
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 07-16-2007 21:28
You got it
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-17-2007 00:56
Strat....Tele....and Les Paul Custom player here and most importantly, a welding background !
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 07-17-2007 20:39
fbrieden,I dont want to go out of bounds on the post but i hear you,  I play two fenders,one Ibanez,one Dean,one Washburn,and two Gibsons and as you said most importantly,a welding background
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 07-17-2007 22:31
I just bought an American Deluxe Ash in cherry burst....love the hell out of it.  Sound awesome into my Twin Reverb.  Now, only if I knew how to play better!!!  Main guitar is a Martin 000 cutaway.  I'm more of a vocalist, but I'm practicin alot more on the axes.
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 07-18-2007 02:45
Twin Reverb is an awesome sweet sounding amp,my main is the strat played thru a Peavy Classic Chorus with twin Scorpions,sounds pretty good.Use to play a lot more than i do now,local bands a lot of the club scene,cut a couple of cd's and tried to make a living of it.It didnt last to long , (got tired of eating peanut butter sandwiches),the welding scene paid a little bit more(a lot more) but it was fun.Just pick around the house now and with friends , do a gig now and then.KEEP ON PICKING
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-18-2007 04:50
NEVER give up your music!
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 07-18-2007 13:57
I'm in a band and gig 3 weekends a month on average.  Still, don't have much time to practice at home, but I'm  chugging along the best I can!!
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-18-2007 04:49
I wish I had a Twin Reverb...forgot to mention my Takamine 12 string...black. Takes some getting use to playing, but the sound is great. Set up by John Deluca who does all my work. I think about playing when I'm teaching, inspecting, or welding; Beatles...Eagles!
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 07-19-2007 01:18 Edited 07-19-2007 01:48
fbrieden & new tito, what kind of music are you guys into,fbrieden you and I sound like we might be pretty much on the same page . Im an o southern rocker (Tucker,Allmans,Eagles,Outlaws ect.)I used to jam with a guy that used to jam with Marshall Tucker.Those guys live just down the road from me,well Doug Gray does and one of the original members passed away a couple of weeks ago.I do a lot of finger picking and love to get down on some blues.Im like fbrieden Id like to have a Twin also and also a 12 string.      Keep Jamming
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-19-2007 15:30
Don't forget Molly Hatchet...Skynyrd...Kentucky Headhunters...Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Hank Williams Jr.. Bonnie Raitt does a mean job on her Strat too and NEVER forget Clapton!
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-19-2007 16:34
Not Southern, but worth mentioning: Yngwie Malmsteen, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Leslie West, Ace Frehley, Rory Gallagher, Robin Trower, Alvin Lee, Ritchie Blackmore, Edward Van Halen, John Sykes, Billy Gibbons, Ted Nugent, Steve Marriott, Tony Iommi, Frank Marino, Brian May, Gary Moore, Rod Price, Roy Buchanan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Thanks To A QA Manager