Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / spot welding
- - By willyraz Date 07-13-2007 22:05
Hi. I'm new here and I saw something on a auto program on tv and I am having a hard time finding out what it was I saw on the show.  I am welding in some new sheet metal on my 73 Challenger and I am trying to do some spot welding. The tool I saw was like a reusable rivet to hold the sheet metal together and some kind of drill tool to make your weld look like a spot weld.  My question is what it that rivet tool called and where can I get them and couldn't you use a common drill or is this spot weld drill tool worth it? what is that special drill called???  Any help appreciated. Bill 
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-14-2007 03:58
The "reusable rivet" is called a "cleco" or a "wedgelock", there was a discussion on them recently in the "Tricks of the Trade" section. There is a spot weld drill for removing spotwelded parts, it drills away the weld in 1 layer of the material. I don't know of a drill type spot welder. The original spot welds are made by contacting the oposite sides of the assembled materials, often impractical with a home shop size portable spot welder like the Miller/Hobart or copies of it. One sided spot welds can be made with MIG, but they will leave a little blob of weld metal. There are tools that use a covered welding rod and a home size welder to weld sheetmetal, they magnetically retract the rod when it touches the work. Marquett sold them for years, Eastwood still sells something similar, I never used one. There are stud weld guns for dent pulling, there may be spot weld atachments for them, I am not sure.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-14-2007 04:42
Parent - - By Greg G. (**) Date 07-15-2007 13:01
Explain more about the cleco threads. I do not know of this. I have used clecos for years.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-16-2007 01:59
Sorry, the url there points to a thread on this forum that discusses clecos
Bill
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / spot welding