Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA-200 Magneto installation help
- - By stronics Date 07-14-2007 21:58
I have a SA-200, the magneto needed serviced and was taken out. I'm having a time installing it. Can't seem to get the timing right. I'd appreciate any help on this.
Thanks,
David
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-15-2007 16:08
Do a search on this Forum with the key word magneto and you will find lots of information to help you.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-15-2007 22:20
Hello stronics, I have had a bit of experience with magnetos and they can be a little bit troublesome to deal with compared to standard distributor type installations. First a little background on the magneto, when the magneto drive shaft is rotated you will notice that it will have a snapping type of action, this is typically how it generates the spark that is delivered to the plug. As it snaps it will generate the spark to the position that is lined up with the rotor after the snapping has taken place. Thus when you are trying to line the rotor up with the #1 position on the distributor cap you have to take this into account. If you don't have the tech manual to take you through the process step by step you will need to play with where you install the magneto in relation to #1 position of the crankshaft and #1 on the distributor cap. First determine the shaft rotation of the magneto, this will help you to anticipate the starting position of the drive before you install it into the block of the engine. Next position the shaft in the magneto so that it will be loading to snap into position and line up with the #1 plug on the distributor cap of the magneto. Now rotate the engine so that it is going in it's normal direction of rotation, just a bit before the crank lines up with the timing marks and the piston on #1 cylinder comes up to it's compression position see if you can install the magneto into it's drive slot, this should have you close enough that you can probably get the engine to start. To double check things, remove the plug on #1 cylinder and rotate the engine in it's normal direction of rotation and as you feel compression on your finger when #1 cylinder starts coming up and lining up the timing marks, remove the distributor cap and check the position of the rotor in relation to #1 plug wire on the cap, it should be lined up with the #1 wire. If not you will have to fool around a bit more with the position of the drive of the magneto. Good luck and regards and let us know how things worked out for you on this. aevald
Parent - By oldschool59 Date 07-22-2007 04:04
I had an SA200 too. Good luck with that mag. Seems like I had to end up moving the plug wires one spot around. (If my aging memory serves me correctly). It was quite a long time ago.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 07-25-2007 14:05
When timing the magneto to the engine always Use #4 cylinder (nearest generator) to time off of. The keyhole in the back of the flywheel housing (behind the air bath) is where you will find the timing mark. Use #1 only when you are using a distributor.

Remove #4 spark plug, with a finger over the hole crank the engine until #4 cylinder comes up (air blows your finger off the hole). Now look into the magneto mounting hole, using a long screwdriver hand turn the engine by inserting the screwdriver into the generator fins and moving the blades until marked camshaft gear is between the two marked governor teeth.

Take the magneto to the work bench, put a spark wire in #4 (firing order 1-3-4-2 clockwise) turn the magneto until it thows a spark, turn coupler back 1/4 turn so that it lines up to the drive slots of the governor.

Install magneto. Using a timing light fire up the engine and check timing with the light through the kehole on the flywheel housing. You may have to move the magneto back or forth at the base to bring it in smooth.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-25-2007 15:35
Hello KSellon, thank you for setting the record straight on the correct manner to install and orient the magneto. It's been a long time since I've had to do much with magnetos. If I'm right there doing it I can usually get things to work, I've got an old Allis Chalmers WD45 with a magneto and every year after it has set it will be full of moisture and need to have the magneto removed and cleaned and dried before I can get it to run again. Most of the time I have to mess around with it to get it correctly lined up again. Once again thanks for the great information, I'm sure there will be a bunch of folks on the forum who will definitely appreciate the help. Regards, aevald
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 07-26-2007 14:44
Your welcome- Anything I can do to help. If I can inform you on how to fix the simply stuff, hopefully you will keep our shop in mind for the big ones. There are too many shops out there misinforming the customer only to make a buck. We are family owned and operated and I plan to pass this business on to my kids, same as my Dad did with me. Good luck gentlemen and God Bless.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA-200 Magneto installation help