Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS & PQR's
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-14-2007 22:49
I"m still new at this and if I understand right you can buy or purchase wps and pqr from aws is this right let me know. If you can do this do you get your welders qualified to these wps and pqr or what do you do to get to use them.
  Where I work we have wrote our on wps & pqr's and that gets a little expensive would purchasing them cost less than doing your on.
Any advice would be appreciated.
     Thanks
      Milton
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-15-2007 00:20
Milton,
Here's my 2 cents (opinion, take it as you will- feedback is always welcome)-Yes you can buy prequalified welding procedure specifications, I've not heard of AWS selling the procedure qualification records. You can use these purchased WPS for welder qualification test and for you specified fabrication WPS's, although these that I've seen are a bit conservative for actual fabrication, my thoughts are the best thing to do is check into what your most productive {quality and quantity}Weldors are using. Identify the required parameter variables [there are WPS checklists available] once you know what are the essential and non-essential variables record what the production welders are using then check against the section 3 prequal requirements if the material both base and filler, joint design, welding parameters, and the remaining items from the checklist are within the specified ranges and your welders are qualified document it,  then just for piece of mind test them against the usage needs, and do some guided bends, and macro-etch a few specimens then  have your engineers approve them and verify with your customers that these are acceptable to them and you'll have WPS's in place and can use these to further develope and expand. The logic I follow for this is that in developing your own you'll have a better time getting buy-in from your workers and the values will be practical for the applications.
When thing don't fall into the prequalified ranges this can be a different matter, depending on what you have available for a testing lab sending the test specimens out may be the cheapest way, but once again if you have many to make it could be a practical investment in acquiring the testing lab equipment and getting the appropriate certifications and qualifications to do them in-house if this option is available to you I feel that the learning that you and your welders will get will be the biggest pay-off.
Sometime we weldor types have huge egos and since seeing is believing things can ease the pain of finding out or way isn't the best.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-15-2007 01:32
I didn't know you could purchase wps and prequalified welding procedures until I started reading this forum. You are probably right because when you do your own you learn a lot. We send all of our test out to be RT and mechanical tested.
Are the ones that you buy expensive an where would buy them.
Thanks for the information.
        Milton
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-15-2007 02:48
Here's a link to the American Welding Society's 2007 catalog loof on page 22 [be carefull it's a large PDF]
http://www.aws.org/catalogs/2006cat.pdf

Her is another link I don't know much about this place except I lie thier web page
http://www.weldprocedures.com/
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-15-2007 21:35
Thanks for your help.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-16-2007 00:41
Prequalified is probably an incorrect term.  The AWS B2.1 Standard Welding Procedure Specifications (SWPS) are actually QUALIFIED WPS' but they are qualified using PQR's submitted by industry and evaluated by the Welding Research Council and B2 Committee's for publication.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-16-2007 01:00
Jon,
Very good observation thanks for the clarification
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS & PQR's