Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Galvanizing pot welding
- - By Jorge Giraldo (**) Date 07-18-2007 16:16
Hello.
Long time away the forum. I hope every body is fine.

Well... we have a galvanizing pot with several leakage of molten zinc throuhg the welds.  Infortunately, the pot was made in ASTM A36 (wich is an incorrect material selection because, as you know, has carbon and silicon levels improper for such application) and the owners wants to repair it in order to put the galvanizing plant in full operation as quick as possible.  I read in the Linnert´s welding metallurgy book that is a normal practice (still today) use a bare metal electrode of low carbon content to obtain a weld metal with low silicon that avoids (or retard) the dissolution in molten zinc. 
If everyone has experience or aknowledge aobut this subject, I need some help or information (references, internet links) related with this welding technique.
Another thing: Linnert says thah more recently has been used GMAW with a low carbon low silicon steel electrode.  ¿somebody knows this kind of filler metal (reference, class, especification, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JORGE GIRALDO
Medellín, Colombia
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-18-2007 17:48
Hello Jorge,
You might consider SMAW for making those repairs unless you can completely remove the zinc from the area you need to repair. GMAW will lend itself to a bunch of porosity trying to weld over and around the old zinc.
just a thought
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Galvanizing pot welding