Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 4130 to low carbon steel
- - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 07-20-2007 14:00
Customer would like to have a peice of 4130 bar stock welded to a low carbon steel, without PWHTing it afterwards.  I know that this will cause enbrittlement and the cracking in the weld, plus the area is a high and heavy impact zone and my worry is that it is going to break off the bar stock, more then not.  My question now is if anyone has any knowledge of tests or a technical document out there that would help solidify my reasoning.  Much appreciated.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-20-2007 15:21
It can be done with out cracking with preheat and slow cool.

There are options that do not require a PWHT but with out more information concerning your application it would be difficult to provide accurate information.
Parent - - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 07-20-2007 16:34
even with preheat and a slow cool for best results I think that PWHT is the only logical route, plus I am pretty sure that PWHT is required to qualify the welding procedure would have to check though
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-20-2007 20:24 Edited 07-20-2007 20:31
I agree PWHT would be a logical step but like I said I don't know your application and that maybe the determining factor.

The HAZ will be very hard no doubt but the "as welded properties" maybe more desirable to the designer.

A procedure can be qualified with out PWHT. That is one of the primary reasons for using 309L and Inco filler material to avoid the need for PWHT. I am not suggesting you use either just replying to your query.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 4130 to low carbon steel