Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN25 Contactor went out
- - By cmays (***) Date 07-21-2007 06:37
It happened right in the middle of a job on the road and I  dont know where to start looking for a new internal contactor. I get fire from my power source but when the gun trigger is enguaged it feeds wire but no arc. I dunno if it would be less of a headache to try and find another one or what.Any suggestion would be great!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-22-2007 01:46
You might be able to bypass the contactor and use it hot wire to finish the job. I would guess that it would be cost effective to repair /replace the contactor.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 07-22-2007 02:00
Yah Im thinking the same thing but dont know where to go to get replacement parts other than ordering them straight from lincoln.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-23-2007 03:07
I have never seen inside one of those units, but it is worth a look to see if the contactor is an off the shelf part or a propritary one. I have seen machine tool relays used as contactors in some machines.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-24-2007 01:54
It's in your gun..........
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 07-24-2007 12:54
Not.   When the trigger is pulled, the wire feeds.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-25-2007 03:26
Not familiar with this unit but often a smaller relay (or semiconductor switch) is between the gun and the contactor to save wear on the gun switch contacts.  Could be worth a look.  Check if you have voltage across the contactor coil when the trigger is pulled.  Does the contactor click?  If it does the contacts are probably bad.  If it doesn't and you do have voltage across the contactor coil the coil is probably bad.  Sometimes you can buy parts for that sort of switch, way less than the whole thing if you can find them.  Large electrical supply house may have parts or the whole contactor.  I doubt that Lincoln made it.
Bill
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 07-27-2007 02:44
Im getting voltage across the sensor and its feeding wire but no arc......
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-24-2007 05:28
Weldmart.com has the replacement contactors for the LN-25, but the price isn't listed on the website.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 07-27-2007 15:53
If your power cable in your gun is pulled loose but the trigger wires aren't it will still feed wire, but no weld. I would try a different gun first or inspect the crimp under the handle or at the base of the gun under the strain relief. If it is pulled loose you will see it. The points on the contacts of the contactor can be cleaned. They tend to carbon up over time. Use sand paper or emery cloth on the points to remove the carbon.
Parent - By tnhnt (***) Date 07-29-2007 04:34
Same thing just happend to me. On the road and in the middle of a job. Tried using a different gun with no luck. Took the feeder apart cleaned the points on the contactor and that did not work either. Having a hard time trying to find a contactor on line for a replacement. If I find one I will let you know where and how much...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN25 Contactor went out